ILIOCHORI

ILIOCHORI

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Panorama

The town of Iliochori (known in the past as Dobrinovo) is one of the beautiful towns of the Zagori (than in Slavic language means " Place behind the Montains") part of the Community of Tymfis. The town is found to approximately 71 km to the Northeast of the city of Ioannina, situated in an evocative forest to 1050 m. of altitude, in the mountains of Tymfis.

Surrounded by the green forests of holm oak, and highest pines of the Mediterranean. The surrounding territory is covered by many rivers, with characteristic bridges in stone of arc, that they come down to the valleys. From Iliochori it is enjoyed the beautiful view of Tymfis.

Its one of many characteristic towns of this area, whose houses are constructed in stone, with tight and high windows, balconies in wood and the roofs in plaka. Usually the houses are surrounded by a courtyard which it is get through by a large gate, sourmont from a lintel covered wood in plaka too.

The place is right to make several activities: excursions on foot, in the forests, in bicycle and and in the waterfalls and in the vallerys of the Kriopotamos river. In this places, the orthodox religion is a lot felt, testified from the presence of various churches, constructed in the places where the hermits sheltered themselves in order to pray. Some km before Iliochori its found the village of the Vlachs that every year attracts many tourists, from every part of Greece and all the world.
Iliochori is found near the National Park of Pindos where it is found still today the brown bear, species protect by the WWF.

The Inhabitants of Iliochori
calls more exactly Iliochorites, are famous for their hospitality, ready to make feel all own comfort, making to taste the specialities of the place. The Iliochorites are famous also for their genuine and healthy kitchen, between the typical plates finds the pites with wild grass, the pumpkins, feta and eggs etc

http://www.iliochori.com

ILIOCHORIAdd External Links text here.

Comments

No comments posted yet.