In the Spirit of Giving

In the Spirit of Giving

Page Type Page Type: Article

In the Spirit of Giving

I’ve only been an active member of SP for about six months now, but every so often I think about why I post on SP. I don’t mean this in the negative sense of “Why do I bother to post?”, but rather in the affirmative. “I post on SP because…”

I suppose I could ask myself why I bother to post. While I love to hike, due to proximity and life choices, I typically only hit the trail a few times a year, so I am by no means an overly active member of the hiking community, so contributions such as Trip Reports or new Route pages are going to be slim. While I love scrambles, I am not a technical climber, so I have no real expertise to offer. And finally, posting takes time! It can take a fair amount of time to submit a high quality document on SP, and I’m busy enough already! If I looked at it this way I would never contribute anything to the site. But to ask the question in the affirmative is the better choice, and for me to answer that question I have to go back to a conversation I had with my friend Rob Wood, back in August 2005.

Longs Peak Summit

Those who have read the few trip reports I have submitted have met Rob. I am lucky enough to have him as a good friend and hiking companion. But when I showed him the pictures from my 2005 trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, he planted the seed for “I post on SP because…” As Rob looked at my pictures, I told him my stories about the trip. Afterwards he told me “You need to tell people about your trip. These pictures and your stories are art.” Keep in mind that Rob and his wife are very active in the art community in our town, so it was easy for him to make this leap from “hiking trip” to “art”. It also happened to be a Friday afternoon at the end of a long work week, so we were well into the Sierra Nevada – the Pale Ale, not the mountains – and usually at this point the conversations end up on the philosophical side. But the idea that my hiking trips had any artistic value was hard for me to buy into. I didn’t see it that way. My attitude was “Other than for a few very close friends and family, who would care?”

Spence Field

But Rob’s comment gnawed at me. Why should I share my stories with total strangers? Keep in mind that for the most part I am a very private person. I have only loosened up on this in the past few years. Prior to Rob’s comment I never would have considered voluntarily sharing my stories with distant friends, let alone on a public forum like SP. If someone asked, sure I’d tell them. But I wouldn’t walk up to someone and say “Let me tell you about my hiking trip.” But after my 2006 summit of Longs Peak I decided to post my pictures of the climb on a website and I e-mailed the link to quite a few friends and family. At the time I thought this was rather presumptuous. Why would most of these people care? What I found surprised me. People did care. Not all, but quite a few. I received numerous replies, which astonished me. It was then that I realized that maybe it was good to share my stories.

Besides being a great information resource, SP is a creative outlet for me - for an activity that I love – spending time in the mountains. But are these stories art? I’ll leave that argument for others. But when I look at this from the concept of how my pictures and stories have impacted the lives of some of my friends and family members, I know that I have enriched the lives of many. And of course Rob and a few other close friends have been the biggest benefactors. Rob for instance had never been hiking in Colorado that summer afternoon in August 2005. He has now been twice and we are currently planning our third trip for July 2009. My nephew (and closest friend) Dave has been the luckiest recipient as he has been on trips with me to Great Smoky Mountain National Park about a dozen times and then RMNP this past August. My son Andrew and his friends have developed an interest in hiking because of the trips I have taken them on. There are other friends and family members who have benefited as well. But regardless of who I have involved, the point is the same. In my story telling, and persistence to get myself, and my family and friends out in the wilderness, I have positively impacted these people’s lives. They consider it a blessing, and I am grateful for that. With these friends and family I have given much.

Sky Pond

And while they say it is better to give than receive, when it comes to SP I have and will always be more on the receiving end versus the giving end. Again, due to the limited number of trips I take, there is only so much I can contribute. But I have spent many hours perusing the far corners of SP and I have benefited so much from the information that has been posted. As of now, all of the hikes I have planned for my 2009 Colorado trip have been inspired by my research on SP. And it is more than just the Mountain and Route pages that have provided me with good information. Many Trip Reports and Albums have been good resources about hikes that I hope to attempt. Even a few of the Forum threads have provided some valuable information to me (while other Threads have made for some really humorous late night reading - a cold beer and Forum discussions can be a good combination). And many SPers have inspired me to make the effort to get out on the trail closer to home. They may not be the epic adventures of the Rockies or the Blue Ridge, but I now realize that I need to hit the trail more often.

But I have read enough comments on SP to realize that many contributors get frustrated, which could lead them to decide to not post. Being a public forum there is always that chance of receiving some critical feedback. Although, generally I have found that SPers have been genuinely friendly regarding submittals. Others complain that their submittals don’t get many - if any – votes, so this becomes a reason to not post. Based on the trends I’ve seen I figure that if something I submit doesn’t see a lot of hits, or get many votes, then maybe the SP community wasn’t interested, or maybe the quality wasn’t there. I take that as more of a reflection on me – and I move on!

Happy 40th

And I know that some people are concerned about their posts getting buried in the large volume of information that is submitted to SP. That is true and there is no way to avoid that from happening. But within the SP community there are information junkies like myself - that’s how I found the SP in the first place, surfing the web looking for information on RMNP. We go digging through the far corners of SP, looking through every possible Trip Report, Mountain and Route page, in search of that one great hiking experience. Finding these stories also makes for enjoyable reading as many members have told so many great tales. And while you may get frustrated that your material doesn’t get a lot of hits or votes, you should take comfort knowing that your story just may positively impact the life of one other person. Someone will stumble across that Trip Report or Route and find something new to do next weekend - or next year.

Besides receiving, SP offers us the chance to give. The opportunity to enrich the life of someone else is just a mouse click away. So if you have a quality story to tell, post it! Sometime, somewhere, someone will be glad that you did. And if your story positively impacts the life of one person, inspires them to go to a place they never would have thought of until you wrote your story, then wasn’t the effort worth it?




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Bill Kerr

Bill Kerr - Jan 3, 2009 1:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Creative Outlet - Yes!

Summit Post is certainly a creative outlet. I have never really thought about it as art but it is that as well. Story telling is one of the oldest art forms. There is some base need within us to recount tales to others who can really understand and appreciate the nuances of the story. We need to share our experiences with others of like minds.

The digital cameras and computers also give us ordinary people an easier art outlet than ever before.
Good article - wanders a bit at the start but good points. Thanks for posting.

Bill

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jan 4, 2009 12:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Creative Outlet - Yes!

I added the "creative outlet" comment late in revising my document. But I felt it was needed for the story to make more sense. Something just seemed to be missing.

The new electronic toys definitely make it easier to tell our stories. And SP makes it pretty easy to make a quality document.You're right, it's definitely easier to tell our stories to an eager audience. I was just late getting to the party.

Thanks for the comments and for visiting.
Mark

silversummit

silversummit - Jan 3, 2009 9:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Well said!

I too found SP recently and based on what I've read so far and conversations with other SPers I think SP is what each of us makes it. And when you think about it, most everything here is what others themselves are sharing. I too, truly enjoy working on my photos, writing my articles and reading about the experiences of others and like Bill said SP draws us in and gives us an outlet.

Another reason I post is like yours, while I have some friends who do hike and camp etc. none feel the way people do here at SP (and they've heard it all before!).

It's articles like yours that really keep me coming back to SP!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jan 4, 2009 1:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well said!

I had a good portion of this article written in my head by the time I made my first submittal to SP. I was very focused on the concept of "posts and their potential impact on a single person" which was the final argument I made to myself and convinced me to start posting. I was originally going to put some of that in "A Few Words" on my profile - but it turned into a 2 page Word document - and I thought that might just be a little long for my Profile page.

As always, thanks for your kind words.
Mark

Elizabeth Riggin

Elizabeth Riggin - Jan 18, 2009 5:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Sweet....

Thanks for this article. I appreciate real people with real experiences...thanks! Have a wonderful new year!
Elizabeth Riggin
author/poet

Viewing: 1-5 of 5