Jebel Marra

Jebel Marra

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 12.93834°N / 24.23551°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 9980 ft / 3042 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jebel Marra rises up in the transitional zone between the Sahel and the Sahara and claims the title as Sudan's highest mountain. It is also geographically the most central peak on the African continent and this remoteness is what gives Marra much of its appeal. This dormant volcanoe does not give any technical mountaineering challenges however the volcanoe's rim gives a beautiful if adventerous hike, nearly 5 km in diameter and mostly intact with majestic views of the caldera twin lakes in the depression. The larger lake is shallow, located in the flatter northeastern side of the caldera and the smaller lake shimmers deep inside a volcanic cone closer to the center of the caldera. To the east a breach in the rim is the mouth of a canyon snaking its way through the receding slope.

A guide and pack donkey are options that could significantly aid in navigation and communication on your undertaking.

Getting There

Fly to Khartoum, Sudan. From Khartoum travel overland by lorry or train to Nyala in South Darfur. Continue by 4x4 and or foot to Torung Tonga, a village on the southeast slopes of Jebel Marra. 

Routes

Torung Tonga - Karonga Traverse

From Torung Tonga navigate along farm paths generally westward and downward until you come to a junction where two river valleys meet. Take the left valley which has some characteristics of a canyon. Navigate due north and follow the canyon as it curves towards the west. and cuts through the rim and the caldera opens up in front of you. Consider camping here.

Navigate weaknesses in the southern curve of the caldera to gain the ridge and follow this around to the summit. Beware of steep drops to your right into the caldera. From here you can reverse your steps or continue around the rim to a gap where you navigate ravines into the valley careful to avoid any sudden drops. 

From the basin it is possible to retrace your path to Torung Tonga or you can skirt the large shallow lake's eastern shore and hike shallow slopes up and over the caldera rim due north. Descend the northern slopes of Jebel Marra until you join with a dry riverbed as it trends northwestward to the 4x4 track to Karonga.

Red Tape

War zone. Instability. You will need travel permits from the authorities in Khartourm and then multiple photocopies of your passport, visa page, and travel permit to give out at the plentiful checkpoints along the way. This information can change very frequently and permission may not be given. Flexibility, humility and question asking are key.

When to Climb

Year round. It can rain any time of year on the mountian which creates its own micro-climate. Rainy season is July-September.

Camping

Camping in the caldera south of the larger shallow Deriba lake. Temperatures at night are cool year round. Fresh water springs south of the lake will definitely need water treatment.

External Links

Add External Links text here.