Viewing: 1-12 of 12
lcarreau

lcarreau - Oct 2, 2008 7:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Outstanding page ...

What a jewel of a basin! I'm back ...

Larry of AZ

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Oct 2, 2008 10:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Outstanding page ...

thanks friend

It is right outside my door.

yatsek

yatsek - Oct 3, 2008 2:01 pm - Voted 10/10

interesting combination of Norway and the Carpathians

this looks to me, and makes me think of "The River Runs Through It" by Redford:). For the past few years we've been having real trouble with all terrain vehicles and motorbikes in the mountains here, in Poland. From what you write I reckon it's been sorted out in the States?

yatsek

yatsek - Oct 3, 2008 6:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: interesting combination of Norway and the Carpathians

Thanks for your reply. I thought US police were more helpful than ours. Anyway, you're right - lucky you!
God bless,
yatsek

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Oct 4, 2008 12:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: interesting combination of Norway and the Carpathians

There is only so much a few law enforcement officers can do in the wilderness areas like Montana where there are literally millions and millions of acres. We have groups that represent each side and they are working together to ensure access to off road areas in appropriate ways and locations.

yatsek

yatsek - Oct 4, 2008 7:11 am - Voted 10/10

Re: interesting combination of Norway and the Carpathians

I hope we here can come to the same point over time. It just has to take a few years - hopefully.

Blair

Blair - Oct 3, 2008 5:37 pm - Hasn't voted

WOW

Sorry I missed this place! Great detail on this page, awesome job.

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Oct 3, 2008 5:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: WOW

Thanks Blair. The Jewel Basin is a treasure that we are truly blessed to have in NW Montana. Perhaps you can visit it someday. As I respond to you I can see it out my window. Lucky me!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Oct 3, 2008 7:19 pm - Voted 10/10

It's my opinion

that your door/window opens to the south side of Heaven.

It's my dream that I should someday visit this Heaven.
Peace, Larry!

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Oct 3, 2008 7:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: It's my opinion

I am glad my grandparents decided to settle in the Flathead Valley. They came here in 1936.

LakesideHiker

LakesideHiker - Oct 4, 2008 4:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Job!

This one of my favorite places to visit on a short hike...and its close. Thanks for the well informed page. I have not explored during the winter, but this has challenged me to consider spend sometime this coming winter up there. Again...Thanks! Steve

granite7

granite7 - Sep 6, 2019 6:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Page needs updating

Much of the trail info is outdated and needs to be corrected. I went to this area to climb up Three Eagles Mountain via Wheeler Creek. The trail from the parking area which requires a stout vehicle preferably with all-wheel or 4wd is poorly maintained. The overgrowth for the first 2.7 miles of trail is 5 feet high and most of the time you can't see your own feet for all the brush. It easy to get off trail and end up at the wrong elevation. Lots of bear scat in this area too. Not recommended for children as they will be overwhelmed by the enormous amount of biting bugs, stinging nettles and tics. After reaching Trail # 7, the trail is better but still very overgrown with steep a drop-off to the west with poor footing. This trail is in need of repair and heavy maintenance if a viable attempt is to be made by the average hiker. For the determined it is a challenging bushwhack for many miles. We finally made it to Wildcat Lakes and then broke away from the so called trail and began route finding and scrambling up a steep gully to the north to reach a pass that overlooks Pilgrim Lakes. We then descended backdown steep terrain of rocks, small trees, and cliffy areas to reach upper Pilgrim Lake. From there it is short hike around the lake to reach another gully line that leads to another pass just west of Three Eagles Mtn. Gain the ridge and scramble another 1/2 hour or so to the summit. This entire trip out will take in the neighborhood of 10-12 hours round trip. Again this is not an easy hike as Flathead Native infers. It will take some effort to just reach the lakes before any scrambling begins. I would not consider this a climb per se or mountaineering of any kind. It is simply a grunt and a peak bagging at best. No gear or technical ability is required or involved. All you need is a stubborn determination and good weather to top out.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Jewel Basin (MT)' main page