Johnson Trailhead, The Wild Sky Wilderness, Scorpion Summit

Johnson Trailhead, The Wild Sky Wilderness, Scorpion Summit

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.79660°N / 121.2622°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 25, 2010
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall

Trail Head

Scorpian Ridge


Truly the best thing about a sunny autumn day is to set out on an outstanding destination with two of your best friends. Captivated by the sun, Sheila, John and I set out for Washington State's newest federal wilderness area, "The Wild Sky".

Loving Life in a high alpine meadow


After traveling six miles on a graveled road, we arrived at the remote trail head. The trail starts out quiet steep, but 0.75 the grade eases and the real trail begins. (Don't give up, for the outstanding views on this trail are so worth it.) You will see summits surrounding Spire Mountain and El Capitan and the Beckler River Valley somewhere into about a mile and half. Along Johnson Ridge, climbing resumes steeply. At the two mile mark, you will see Sunrise MT at 5050 ft. and here is where the vertical trail begins.

Wild Sky Wilderness


East of the meadow that embraces the Cascade Crest, you will see snowy Glacier Peak and then north is the Monti Cristo Peak, impressive wall of rock.

On Johnson Ridge trail


After reaching Sunrise Mountain viewing, you will continue onto Scorpion Mountain. The trail steeply drops at vertical 300 ft with a narrow saddle and continue onto the high altitude meadows (3.5).

Scorpian Ridge


Reaching Scorpion Summit you will view these Summits:

EAST-Poet Ridge, Grizzly, McCausland, The Chiwaukums.

SOUTH-Captain Point, Fernow, Daniel, Hinman, Cathedral Rock.

NORTH-Evergreen, Sloan, Glacier Peak, Benchmark, Fortune.

WEST-Baring, Spire, Troublesome

Johnston trail, Scorpion ridge


Peeking through the trees...


The three of us started at 10:30 am and returned back to our car by 5:15 pm
In the first meadow after seeing Sunrise Mountain, we saw medium size bear prints and evidence of them "laying" in the grassy area. Otherwise we only saw a multitude of hawks encircling below Becker River Valley. Unfortunately, there is no water source.(Though below Scorpion Mountain there is a lake.)

Trail up to Scorpion Summit

Summary

I truly was momentarily paralyzed after seeing the panoramic views on Scorpion Mountain. The relentless climb from get-go didn't discourage us, because we had read about those views from another hiker. I am glad I did.
I hope more hikers come check this place out...it is worth your time.

Round Trip 9.0 miles
Elevation gain 2650 ft.
Highest Point 5540 ft.

Benchmark MT No.144
Green Trails Monti Cristo No. 143

Autumn color on Johnson trail




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-9 of 9
EastKing

EastKing - Sep 27, 2010 3:46 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent TR and photos

Awesome TR and photos. Some of those photos would be great in the "Fall Colors in Washington State 2010" Album. The Stevens Pass area is an excellent place to hike in late September when the vine maples and the berry bushes are out.

Elizabeth Riggin

Elizabeth Riggin - Sep 27, 2010 4:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent TR and photos

Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed my report. I hope to go back again. Maybe more people will check this cool trail out. :)

lcarreau

lcarreau - Sep 28, 2010 11:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Elizabeth..

What about Glacier Peak? Could you see it from up there?

Should be seen to the east of Sloan Peak..

Elizabeth Riggin

Elizabeth Riggin - Sep 30, 2010 6:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Elizabeth..

Yes! I forgot to mention Glacier Peak to the east...thanks for the nice vote and reading my report. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. :)

lcarreau

lcarreau - Oct 1, 2010 6:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Elizabeth..

No, I think you mean in my neck of the "cactus." I catch your drift ... : )

gimpilator

gimpilator - Sep 30, 2010 1:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Job

You are cranking out some great trip reports lately. Keep up the good work! Also, this page should be attached o the Scorpion Mountain page. Let me know if you need help doing that.

Elizabeth Riggin

Elizabeth Riggin - Sep 30, 2010 6:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Job

Thanks for the nice comment and vote on my report! I hope you are getting out in this autume weather. Yes! I need to be shown how to attache the "Scorpion Mountain" page to my report. :)

EricChu

EricChu - Dec 12, 2010 8:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Very nice!

Lovely trip report you wrote, Elizabeth, and your photos are very beautiful!
All the best to you,
Eric

Elizabeth Riggin

Elizabeth Riggin - Dec 13, 2010 10:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice!

Thank you Eric! I really appreciated you taking the time to read my report. I hope the new year brings more trips. I wish you all the best as well. E-

Viewing: 1-9 of 9

Table of Contents