Jordan Trail - Dana to Petra

Jordan Trail - Dana to Petra

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 30.67388°N / 35.60815°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

5 day overnight (72.6km long) in bedouin backcountry with some good elevation +/- tracking from village of Dana inside the Dana Biosphere Reserve through rocky terrain down to the "backdoor" of Petra. Very little exposure, and route varies whether doing by GPS markers or hiring a bedouin guide to lead you.

From Jordan Trail organization: 

One of the most awe-inspiring sections of a trek across Jordan, this route was recently named by National Geographic as one of the fifteen best hikes in the world. The trail drops from the heights of the mountain plateaus to the Araba Valley and climbs back again, crossing several climate zones, diverse ecosystems hidden in canyons, and dramatic labyrinths of hills and valleys displaying the full spectrum of the region’s geology. The scenery spans from majestic and epic mountaintops to peaceful, bucolic countryside, and new landscapes present themselves every few kilometers: the one thing this region does not offer is monotony. If the natural attractions aren’t enough, the route ends with the Nabatean masterpiece, Petra. The city in the rocks holds days worth of exploration by itself, and the short route the Jordan Trail takes through it is meant only to display a few of its highlights and to provide a base for further wanderings, not to fully capture its depth. Few other long-distance trails can boast stages as consistently spectacular as this or end in a place as worthy of a visit as Petra.

Getting There

Necessitates flight to Amman and car transfer to Dana 

Route Description

Rocky. Day 1 has 1,000 meter descent. Day 2 has 850m to 1,000m ascent depending on distance traveled. Rest of way settles around 1,250m elevation.

The Jordan Trail is a newly established trail, and is not marked. It is therefore our strong recommendation that you hire a local guide for your safety as many sections are remote with limited water sources and at times no connectivity.

Map

Broken down by Trail organization as: 

1: Dana to Wadi Malaga

2: Wadi Malaga to Ras Al-Feid

3: Ras Al-Feid to Little Petra

4: Little Petra to Petra

Essential Gear

Proper overnight backpacking gear with appropriate tent/bag as temperatures can drop significantly in Fall/Winter

External Links

5 Day 'Dana to Petra' section hike: https://jordantrail.org/dana-to-petra/

Full trail: https://jordantrail.org/