Just About 700 m

Just About 700 m

The funny thing about Spitsbergen’s mountains is that, from a distance, they look pretty easy to climb while in fact they’re not (in a nutshell: slippery). And the unique/great thing is that you're in the alpine surrondings at these altitudes!
yatsek
on Oct 24, 2008 11:24 am
Image ID: 456442

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Oct 26, 2008 3:12 pm - Voted 10/10

The low-altitude yet darn serious

the same character of the mountains which amazed me in the continental articts (Kola and Urals) ... but Spitzbergen, with its extent of glaciation, beat them all!

yatsek

yatsek - Oct 27, 2008 5:48 pm - Hasn't voted

U might be right

but I bet Alaska, say Wrangell-St.Elias, can't be beaten in this competition - Have you been/Do you ever go somewhere there?

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Jul 13, 2009 9:26 am - Voted 10/10

Re: U might be right

Low altitude, but dangerous - so true...
I live in NM now, and so many mountains are over 3,500 m, some even over 4,000 m and yet appear tame compare to the photo above. I guess its southern location keeps the most of the snow away by mid summer.

yatsek

yatsek - Jul 14, 2009 3:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: U might be right

They're not that dangerous as long as you have some experience of glaciers (I had some knowledge but no experience). And like elsewhere weather phenomena can multiply the danger. Besides, except for the short summer lots of polar bears roam the area - bigger than and as wild as the gorgeous grizzly sisters in your Alaska pic. :)

Viewing: 1-4 of 4