K2 Comments

Viewing: 1-19 of 19
kilimanjaro1

kilimanjaro1 - Apr 5, 2002 10:30 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote... IO added a new section to the page to include the history you included. Thanks for ther contribution. Rick

kilimanjaro1

kilimanjaro1 - Apr 5, 2002 10:30 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote... I added a new section to the page to include the history you included. Thanks for ther contribution. Rick

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Jan 17, 2003 2:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Please add more history about the peak, more routes and links. I miss the other names of the mountain and why it's named K2. When you have done the changes say to me and I'll give you 4 stars. I didn't know that K2 is located in Los Angeles ;-)



Don't give up

Chamonix Man

Chamonix Man - Jan 23, 2003 5:31 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for putting my photo on. I have done a trip report of a trek in the valley next to K2, I know it is not directly related to K2 but it is interesting and there was nowhere else to put it, i hope that you don't mind!

kilimanjaro1

kilimanjaro1 - Sep 10, 2004 3:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!

belleke - Sep 18, 2004 2:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

very nice

kilimanjaro1

kilimanjaro1 - Apr 25, 2005 10:53 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote on K-2! Happy Climbing!

kilimanjaro1

kilimanjaro1 - Dec 24, 2005 10:14 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote!

kilimanjaro1

kilimanjaro1 - Dec 28, 2005 3:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote- glad you liked the page.

kilimanjaro1

kilimanjaro1 - Jan 4, 2006 6:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

thanks for the vote!

JasonH

JasonH - Apr 3, 2006 3:54 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Awesome looking page!

sarme

sarme - Nov 11, 2006 5:30 pm - Hasn't voted

thought

At the moment when you put your feet on the top, there isn’t any gladness explosion.
It mean that the happiness don’t exist? It exist when all is so far, in front of you…when you are near the objective, at one step from your dream…
This’s the moment to feel a happiness.
I speak of summit, but the happiness in mountain is composed by different little things : to jump a obstacle, a magic panorama, a blue sky without clouds…
When i am at the base of mountain, during the return at home, if i see the summit, i think : “I was up there!” and i feel a great joy!

Jerzy Kukuczka, K2 expedition, 1986

BigLee

BigLee - Feb 10, 2007 3:07 pm - Voted 6/10

Bit more info please...

Intro needs rewriting as doesn't flow with all the additions. Red tape contradicts/repeats itself in places. Climbing history is thin and stops at 1981, and an overview of routes would be good. There's also no info on the Chinese side. Also, I'd delete the climbing itinerary. About every Pakistan tour operator has an itinerary like this on their websites. Any climber serious about K2 will base their itinerary around their climbing style. There's stacks of info out there on this mountain which gets attempted yearly. At the moment the page lacks sufficent info for potential climbers. Sorry to be harsh. Better I vote 7/10 and comment why than simply vote 7/10.

kilimanjaro1

kilimanjaro1 - Sep 26, 2007 3:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing!!

Thanks for the kind words! I would really appreciate it if you would vote on the page too. Thanks!

Afzal

Afzal - Mar 2, 2010 11:52 am - Voted 10/10

Good Page

but need to be up-dated. please add the porter section, their ration and wages etc. The porters wages are recently increased. The camping fees are also payable at Baltoro Glacier. The climbing permit fees are also increased.
Best regards, Afzal

Scott

Scott - May 28, 2013 2:37 pm - Voted 2/10

Needs Improvement

I think the page needs a lot of work. Much of it is very outdated (for example the part where it says as of June 2000,189 people have made the summit). Permit info is outdated. Much of the info isn't very useful for someone planning a trip there. Even a simple list of routes is missing.

Just one example of needed improvement and error correction:

Nevertheless, there were some earlier expeditions that made the first reconnaissances of the Abruzzi Spur: the Duke of Abruzzi in 1909 and the American teams led by C.Houston in 1939 and 1953.

This is wrong. Charles Houston led the 1938 expedition, not the 1939 one. The 1939 one was lead by Fritz Wiessner.

The above is only one example.

I do think you should be given a chance before anyone takes the page, but please update/improve/correct the page.

It would be greatly appreciated.

kilimanjaro1

kilimanjaro1 - May 29, 2013 2:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Needs Improvement

Updates and corrections made.

Scott

Scott - May 29, 2013 4:14 pm - Voted 2/10

Re: Needs Improvement

Good job on the corrections.

The above were just some examples. There are still a few things you should check for accuracy.

Some examples of things to check into:

The most popular, and generally considered one of the most dangerous routes, is the Abruzzi Spur. This is most likely the route you will take. Most likely considered the most dangerous because it is the most climbed.

Where are you getting the above information? The Abruzzi ridge is certainly the most popular route, but who considers it to be the most dangerous?

The route through the Abruzzi Spur and up the Black Pyramid is said to be slightly "easier" climbing, more so than the North Ridge route.

All literature I’ve seen on the peak says that the North Ridge is much more difficult. Can you verify the above in that it is only slightly easier?

Should you decide to try to summit, you will be part of a well organized group of climbers and be escorted by a touring company.

Is this really true? Are most climbers on K2 escorted by a touring company?

Also, any mention of the history of K2 should include Fritz Wiessner’s attempt. It is probably the most famous of all the attempts on the mountain.

I’d also consider ditching the “itinerary from local tour operators” section. It reads like an advertisement and really isn’t very useful to someone who is looking to climb the peak and very marginally useful for trekking there.

Also, in my opinion at least, more emphasis should be placed on climbing and the climbs of K2 rather than only trekking. There should be a section (or more than one section) on trekking routes, but it shouldn’t be the main emphasis of the page. If the emphasis is trekking, than at least a basic description of the trek should be included.

See what BigLee has done with the Khan Tengri page or Nanga Parbat pages for example:

Khan Tengri

Nanga Parbat

Given, not everyone puts that much effort into a page (I don’t have anything as good as those), but it is a good template to look at and get a few ideas.

It doesn’t have to look nearly as pretty as above, but the most important thing is to provide enough real information that someone can use a one of the primary sources in planning their trip to climb/attempt the mountain. Accuracy is very important.

PS, I am no expert on K2; in my original post I just noticed some errors that were easily picked up by anyone who knows much of anything about the mountain. These are also meant to be some useful suggestions on how to improve the page, rather than being an attack on you or what you have written.

I looked at the page after someone requested the page and after your message to the elves and thought it would be a good idea to suggest some improvements. At this time, none of us have any plans to transfer the page to the member who has requested it, but I thought it was a good idea to suggest some ways to improve the page.

Good luck.

Afzal

Afzal - Jun 4, 2013 7:39 am - Voted 10/10

K2

Now page is much better.

Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Return to 'K2' main page