KANDOVAN ROCKY VILLAGE

KANDOVAN ROCKY VILLAGE

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Scenery

Alice In Wonderland!

Kandovan village is located at 62 kilometers south of Tabriz city, the capital of Iran's East-Azerbaijan 22 kilometers far from Osku town.
These days a nice mountain road connects it to Osku and you can easily reach the vilage. The houses are all made inside big rocks and the fact that people are still living in them and the village is alive makes it the one and only in the world.
The first time Kandovan and its rocks have been used as a place of residence is not known.
There are lots and lots of foreign turists that visit Kandovan each year and the experience is something really different as I talked to a few of them.
Visiting the whole village, the area , drinking from the famous spring of Kandovan which is good for kidney stone cure and hiking arround will be a great program for a day or half.
When you are in this ancient village it seems to be in wonderland, Now I can understand how Alice felt when she was first there!


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Ejnar Fjerdingstad - Apr 5, 2008 10:30 am - Voted 10/10

Looks

very strange! What kind of rocks are they?

Fereidoun Forghani

Fereidoun Forghani - Apr 5, 2008 2:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Looks

The stones were not from the kinds I have seen before. But I examined them to see how hard they are and I should say they are almost densed stones. No one knows how long it took for the old natives of the village to dig a house but these days with all the modern technology available it still takes much more than a year to make one!

Alamkuh

Alamkuh - Apr 5, 2008 11:05 am - Voted 10/10

Very Nice

Very Nice Villge , how old is this building? , (Ejaze midan kasi dakhele Otagh'ha ham bereh?)

Fereidoun Forghani

Fereidoun Forghani - Apr 5, 2008 2:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Nice

As I know the age of the village is more than a thousand year!! But evidences have been found that for sure prove the age to be at least 700 years. I dont know how longer?! There is a very small hotel in the village with the same style with the houses which you can stay in and have a great fantasy! Also people are so kind to show you a part of the house but frankly I dont think its right to ask them. For us this is a big tourist attraction, for them its their normal daily life. So the less we interfere the better it is.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4