Karkas mt.

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.27000°N / 51.48000°E
Additional Information County: Iran
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12779 ft / 3895 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Karkas mountain chain is located in Central Iran. It ranges from Kashan to Ardestan over more than 100 km and is mainly composed of igneous (plutonic and volcanic), pyroclastic and somewhat sedimentary Tertiary rocks. In the central part, this mountain chain consists of a Precambrian-Paleozoic basement.
The highest peak of the Karkas Mountains is 3895m which is close to Natanz.
Although in Persian Karkas means vulture, it is possible that the name of this mountain chain is derived from the settlement activity of ancient Kassites in the area, since in the ancient Assyrian language Kar-Kassi means “town or land of the Kassites” (modified interpretation after Roman Ghirshman, 1954).

Getting There

Esfahan city has international airport , rail road and bus terminal and you can reach there easily . Natanz city is located at the north of Esfahan and there is a 120km-road from ther to Esfahan .
It is possible to take a rental car from Natanz city to the nearest village to the Karkas mt. which is called Kesheh .

Red Tape

Ther is no Red Tape .

Camping

Camping is allowed every where an there is a hut in the area.

External Links

climbing.ir

Maps

Iran mapIran map