Kato Zakros crag, east Crete

Kato Zakros crag, east Crete

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.10164°N / 26.26369°E
Activities Activities: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 66 ft / 20 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A new climbing spot  close to beaches of Kato Zakros

Getting There

Go by car to Kato Zakros village. You can park behind taverna Akrogiali. Continue on foot along the coast until you reach the goat gate at the end of the village. Turn left and follow a path along the fence for about 100 meters. You will see the crag on the right side. Climb for 3 minutes to the crag.

Route

This crag offers fantastic views, looking towards the south you will be able to see beaches of Kato Zakros, tavernas in the village, the whole valley with remnants of the Minoan palace, olive groves, canyon Gorge of the Dead, hills surrounding Kato Zakros. It is beautiful. In addition, you are 200 meters from the sea, you can enjoy both climbing and water activities during the day. You can even combine climbing with tavernas, you will like local food, beer and coffee.
The crag offers partly yellow, smooth limestone, some routes lead in grey, sharper material. The crag abounds in pitches of 6a-6b, pitches are well bolted and that is why even beginners can enjoy climbing here. Most of the routes are shorter than 20 meters, however, it is better to have at least 50 meters long rope.  There are 17 pitches done ( October 2019).

Kato Zakros Cave belongs to a local group of crags surrounding the villages of Xerokambos and Zakros. There are at least ten canyons, that are close to each other and where climbing can be developed. Xerokambos has six of them, Zakros has three. Currently climbing is at the beginning here, only a tiny part of all possibilities is exploited.
This local cluster of crags has the potential to become one of the best climbing areas in Greece and this potential is still waiting to be discovered. Our Zakros team is working here hard, however, we are only a small group of climbers. We will be very happy to invite every climber to our team to help us with our effort.

Red Tape

You can combine climbing with swimming in the sea during the hot days.

When to Climb

Summer, autumn, winter, spring. The best season for climbing is in autumn and spring.

Camping

There is no campsite in Kato Zakros. 

External Links

http://www.climbcrete.com/index.php?lokalita=4