Kicking back on the summit...

Kicking back on the summit...

Kicking back on the summit watching the weather roll in (doesn't it always happen that way?). You can see our steps up the opposite pinnacle. Was a nice ice climb up that section. You can see our fixed line hanging down as well. What you can't see are some of our packs over there and the ravens that descended on them while we were climbing. The ravens here (and down in camp) know how to zip open zippers and get inside the packs. They made a mess of some food and a blue bag. Yuck.
Brian Jenkins
on Jun 27, 2005 7:15 pm
Image ID: 112333

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Diggler

Diggler - Jun 27, 2005 7:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Congrat's, Brian!

Good job on getting up the toughest Sister (nice photos, BTW, too)! Looks like a serious climb (esp. under those cond.). Looking forward to giving it a go in another 3 weeks! What do you suppose the cond. will be like then? Should I bring ice tools & screws???

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jun 27, 2005 8:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrat's, Brian!

Hard to say, the small patch of ice we did in the bottom of this photo was melting out pretty quickly and chunks would fall on us below. Three more weeks should bring a lot of melt but mid-July might still have some ice spots. When David (dkantola) posts his shots from the climb you should ask him as he did the lead on this one.



Not sure about screws, probably. Two tools, well we had guys who did it with just one axe. I had a short axe and one tool. David too.



Just make sure you are up there early in the morning, the snow got real soft and slushy by mid-morning. I assume you are hitting North Sister first in the marathon?

Diggler

Diggler - Jun 28, 2005 11:40 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Congrat's, Brian!

Thanks, Brian. Yeah- we'll try to get North Sister done first- seems like the others are hikes after that (albeit long hikes w/ plenty of vertical gain to go!).

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jun 28, 2005 12:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrat's, Brian!

Yeah, Middle and South are cakewalks from the routes you will do on them. As long as your legs hold out, you'll have no issues with them. Take care on North though.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4