Kinabalu Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 35
12
seancau

seancau - Sep 4, 2016 3:31 pm Date Climbed: Jan 10, 2014

Day Hike  Sucess!

Since a night in Laban Rata costs more than the price of a 5* hotel in Kuala Lumpur, we decided to do a one day hike. Arranged transport & permits with a fixer in Kota Kinabalu because we were worried about the permit process (officially there are only 4 permits issued to one day hikers, although there were 8 one day hikers the day we summited). Tough hike with lots of steps, 5/8 one day hikers made the summit. We were lucky to avoid the crowds of overnighters and the summit was relatively cloud-free. Be warned that you will still have to pay for "guides" (1 between every 2 people), and they will make you turn back if you do not meet certain waypoints in time on the way up.

teddycricket83

teddycricket83 - Aug 9, 2015 2:37 am

Made it up twice  Sucess!

When we got to the rest house in the afternoon, we were bored and decided we wanted to summit in the afternoon as well as the next morning. So we jumped the fence and made it up by ourselves, which was awesome. No guide, no people. Of course we also did the middle of the night trudge with the rest of Malaysia the next morning

high.ry

high.ry - Dec 27, 2014 7:48 am Date Climbed: Dec 16, 2014

Well maintained route!  Sucess!

Weather was perfect for 10 hours straight, from the time we reached the summit before sunrise, as we did the LPC Via Ferrata, and all the way until we descended to Timpohon Gate. Trail was very well maintained, there was hardly any litter!

Kevintheclimber

Kevintheclimber - Dec 28, 2013 12:23 am Date Climbed: Jul 11, 2011

Classic hike   Sucess!

Very different from the rest of South east Asia. Be sure to dress warm on the summit though. I nearly froze

ajberry

ajberry - Nov 10, 2013 8:49 am

Standard Route  Sucess!

A while back. Went to the top twice on the same trip, once in the rain and mist of the afternoon and then pre-dawn from the cabin.

reggiejoshua

reggiejoshua - Feb 17, 2013 2:56 am

Standard Route  Sucess!

A nice and moderate climb considering it's height,spend only around 20 minutes in the overcrowded summtt cause of the extremely cold temperature.

sunshine - Jan 1, 2013 8:59 pm Date Climbed: May 9, 2007

Absolutely loved it  Sucess!

I just barely got a permit while I was in Borneo. Absolutely loved the overnight stay in the hut, and the overall hike. Highly recommended.

Juanneman

Juanneman - Jun 5, 2012 4:02 pm Date Climbed: Feb 10, 2006

Borneo express  Sucess!

Nice trek through the jungle into the mountains.
change of scenery is spectacular.

utahjimk

utahjimk - Nov 9, 2011 4:24 pm Date Climbed: Jan 27, 2010

cloud deck  Sucess!

did the standard hike - a wonderful experience! Interesting life to see and spectacular views. Even the rats hanging around Laban Rata were cool to see. Only disappointment was spending so little time on summit - as soon as the sun was starting to rise, my group started down.

Frostvin

Frostvin - Aug 14, 2011 7:23 am Date Climbed: Dec 24, 2009

Standard route  Sucess!

Some nice views and sunset from the hut, but a very wet hike up to the top, rain was poring down, the park rangers closed the route, needed to sign a disclaimer before leaving for summit. The rain cleared as we reached the top that was all empty, and in the end a great trek. Booked the hut a few moths in advance from home.

conflax - May 3, 2011 6:19 pm Date Climbed: Nov 1, 2007

Stunning  Sucess!

Wow. Loved every minute of this two day climb, but it was nearly ALL STEPS! Sunrise above the clouds was unforgettable. Granite rockface steep with the rope for guidance, but a fun experience

gert

gert - Aug 21, 2010 4:21 pm

1994 - Normal route   Sucess!

Had a nice trip through Sabah and Kinabalu was one of the highlights

atavist

atavist - Oct 4, 2009 10:05 pm Date Climbed: Oct 4, 2009

Visitor Center - Summit - Mesilau Nature Reserve  Sucess!

Kinabalu is definitely a beautiful mountain with huge potential for technical route development. Unfortunately it is regulated quite strictly and expensive. On my summit day, we had clear skies and a great sunrise. The previous day was cloudy and we never got a view of the peaks and spires until they were lit by the full moon around 4am when we made preparations to make the final 3km trek to Lowe's Peak. I descended via the Mesilau Trail and found the terrain to be much more beautiful. There's a few bridges including a double-span suspension bridge which crosses a fast-moving river. There's also a few lookout spots showing off the steep jungle walls and many waterfalls. This alternate route however is about 2km longer and felt much steeper than the main route. Plus, the transportation is an issue since the MNR gets little traffic and you are far from the main road. You will probably have to call a taxi once you reach the office.

Thomas Gurviez

Thomas Gurviez - Sep 24, 2009 10:44 am Date Climbed: Sep 13, 2009

normal route  Sucess!

Nice weather up to 8 AM, mild event at the summit

hyperbolictans

hyperbolictans - Jun 22, 2009 4:06 am Date Climbed: Jun 16, 2009

Route: Mersilau Trail  Sucess!

Mersilau trail: 0820-1510hrs, including lunch stop
Stayed at Pendant Hut. Set off at 0220hrs for summit. Reached summit at 0450hrs, in bitter wind chill but fine weather. First group on the summit for the day. Descended via the Via Ferrata to Laban Rata.
Descended from L.R. 1335hrs, reached Timponon gate ~1710hrs.

LS

LS - Mar 12, 2009 7:46 am Date Climbed: Oct 31, 2008

No view

A beautiful hike, but we were unlucky with the dense clouds on the summit (no rain however). See my trip report here: http://distantpeak.com/cms/story/211/mount-kinabalu

TrevorMarrs

TrevorMarrs - Nov 3, 2008 5:03 pm Date Climbed: Mar 15, 2008

Got the bug  Sucess!

Bit of a ´Lets try it´ while travelling in asia nearly froze to death at the top as I climbed in shorts and tracksuit top but it really gave me the climbing bug!!

radson

radson - Aug 20, 2008 5:25 am Date Climbed: Jul 17, 2003

Standard climb  Sucess!

A nice trek.

derekp62

derekp62 - Apr 28, 2008 2:31 am Date Climbed: Apr 27, 2008

Timpohon to Summit  Sucess!

On a lay over between a week in Kualu Lumpur and Tokyo, I decided to try and climb Mt. Kinabalu. It's not the biggest by a long shot, but it's probably the hardest climb I've done in year. 7893 ft. in 3.72 miles was just plain nuts!

milan1970

milan1970 - Jan 10, 2008 2:52 am Date Climbed: Dec 10, 2007

Standard route  Sucess!

Together with my girlfriend, we climbed Kinabalu in a day. As we went up from HQ (1800meters) a lot of climbers were coming down and had lots of rain that night with no views during their summit. Our guide decided that we climbed fast enough to make it in a day and the weather was stable. So with two other climbers in our team we were the only four on the mountain that period and it was superb. We had a beautiful sunset when we summited and could see spectacular views over Borneo with little islands in the ocean. Descend back to the Laban Rata hut was also superb as all the surrounding rocks turned into gold with the sun lighting them up.
A nice and easy mountain to climb with only at the beginning a little steep part for those who never climbed before.

Viewing: 1-20 of 35
12
Return to 'Kinabalu' main page