Viewing: 1-6 of 6
ganesh70

ganesh70 - Jul 1, 2008 1:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Another one...

...for the front page!
My compliments!

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Jul 1, 2008 3:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another one...

No, you're exaggerating :)

I just want to cover the Carnic Alps Main Ridge - eastern part. So, we did a drive around and ascended also Pal. It's just a jump up. From those mountains I think only the following are missing: Monte Paularo, Monte Dimon and the mysterious Monte Schinauz - the one which hosted NATO radar, which is now supposedly abandoned. But I guess its visitors are very rare.

by the way, I bet that Monte Musi page will be on the front page of SummitPost ;)

Ciao!

ganesh70

ganesh70 - Jul 2, 2008 3:11 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Another one...

You're too modest, this is a very good page of a very popular mountain of the Carnic Alps, probably the most climbed summit. In Friuli ( but I think also in southern Austria ) even people that is not interested in mountains have climbed it at least once.
About your three mountains Monte Paularo is easy to climb ( from Casera Pramosio ) and deserves to be climbed for the wonderful views of the Carnic alps. It's much frequented especially in the summer months, like its twin mountain Monte Dimon, easily reachable from Castel Valdaier.
The mysterious Monte Scinauz was an off limits area until some years ago but now it's not a military area anymore. There's a military cableway that reaches the summit, but I think it's abandoned like the other installations ( there's no more fear of invasions from the east... ). It's said that this was the first radar station that reported the russian invasion of the Czech republic in 1968. This mountain has been chosen as a military base because is a real stronghold and it's not that easy to climb. There aren't marked paths and basically you have to find your way to the summit following old tracks. There's a route from Passo Pramollo to Malga Biffil and then to the summit ( NNE crest ) but is very long, like 25/30 km. The other is from Santa Caterina ( Bagni di Lusnizza ) that probably follows the Rio Bianco.
Ciao!

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Jul 2, 2008 3:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Another one...

Yes, that is Schinauz. I was even thinking that a half of the distance from Passo Pramollo could be done by a bike. Eh, we shall see...
Ciao!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jul 2, 2008 2:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Missed it twice already

once in 2004 when I stayed at Maria Luggau and once last year (you know where we stayed). Last year we actually drove to the trailhead near Plöckenpass but then the heavy rain we had been fleeing caught up with us and it made no sense to leave the car.

On the other hand - I'va always wanted to write an article about WW I in the Alps and Kleiner Pal would feature highly. If the project will ever be undertaken I'll draw from your pictures ;-)

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Jul 2, 2008 5:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Missed it twice already

Of course, you're welcome to use my pictures! And, regarding the WW1, I probably told you that Jasmina is an expert for that topic. She published a book - a diary of her grandfather, who was writing it just every day, while being as an officer on several frontlines on these mountains.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Kleiner Pal / Pal Piccolo' main page