Viewing: 1-11 of 11

Roberto36 - Sep 17, 2012 1:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: ???

“Unfortunately the Finnish front with its mountains was substituted by the Russian steppe….” isn’t a mistake, but it concerns a technical consideration that I haven’t described completely before.

Battalion “Alpini Sciatori Monte Cervino” was a sort of “commando” unit (quite similar to actual US Navy SEALS, for example), planned for raids in mountain environment, particularly in winter season. The use in a large level front, like Russian steppe, completely lacking in natural defences exposed these alpine soldiers to the massive attack of Soviet heavy tanks T-34. The light automatic machine gun, suitable for alpine winter climate and more updated than the old rifles used during the campaign in Albania, had serious problem to pierce the metal armour: a huge part of battalion died in the desperate try to destroy those “steel monsters” without the support of artillery.

Probably the destiny of these mountaineering professionals should have been a bit different on the mountains of Finland, less guarded and much more defensible by little units……

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Ejnar Fjerdingstad - Sep 22, 2012 5:37 am - Voted 10/10

Hi Roberto,

I hope you don't mind a couple of minor corrections to this interesting story:
1) It should be "a rope cut", as the verb "to cut" is the same in all tenses.
2) The Finnish border with Russia generally is not mountainous, there are, however, many lakes and woods, that might give cover. And of course winters are very cold.

Otherwise I enjoyed reading the story, I have always found the Grivola a beautiful mountain, although I have never actually been there.

Roberto36 - Sep 22, 2012 10:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hi Roberto,

Dear Ejnar,

thanks for your kindness.

I’m sorry for the “cutted”; I’m not very used to write articles in English and sometimes, also after reading few times a mistake remains…….

In the article I haven’t really mentioned the border Finland-Russia; the Finland mountains where should have been displaced “Monte Cervino” are on Northern Lapland, near Sweden and Norway (just occupied by the German army).
The sudden stop of Nazi’s offensive near Stalingrad obliged the Army Staff to send the battalion on the steppe near Don river to support the rest of Italian and German infantry. Here we are very far from Finnish border!

visentin

visentin - Sep 26, 2012 12:20 am - Hasn't voted

Nice, but

Which Roberto are you ? Are you another person ?

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Sep 26, 2012 4:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice, but

It is a common name. Why are you harassing him?

lcarreau

lcarreau - Sep 26, 2012 10:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but

Where's your proof, Eric?

visentin

visentin - Sep 27, 2012 2:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but

So far the best proof is the absence of answer from Roberto36. Guys, let's continue the conversation on the forum.
Roberto36, if you are someone else than Chaberton neither the person I'm thinking of, decline please your identity. If you're really another military researcher there must be references to your work.

Roberto36 - Sep 27, 2012 3:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but

I'm Roberto36, the author of this article.

I don't understand where is the problem!

If someone finds something wrong or not clear in the article, I try to reply and explain; that's all!

visentin

visentin - Sep 27, 2012 7:49 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but

The article is OK, "Roberto". The problem is that there are a lot of Robertos recently...

Roberto36 - Sep 27, 2012 8:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but

I know.

Roberto in Italy is a common name and may be some users use it to create their profile on Summitpost.
I haven't any idea to substitute someone else with my nickname (as published on the forum)......
I don't know anything about the story of "Chaberton" and why he decided to leave SP.
You can provide that I've copied his articles or photos or anything else?

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Sep 27, 2012 11:53 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice, but

visentin there are even more Eric's. You should complain about them too.

There is no problem Roberto... except that some need to chill out!

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'La Grivola, 1942: a rope cut by an avalanche' main page