Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 40.10000°N / 119.466°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Lake Range sits in western Nevada Northeast of Reno. Located entirely in Washoe County, and the southern two-thirds are within the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation. The ridge runs north-south for approximately 36 miles.

To the south is the Mud Lake Slough, which connects Pyramid Lake to Winnemucca Lake. The San Emido Desert is to the North. To the east, Winnemucca Lake lies between the Lake Range from the Nightingale Mountains and the Selenite Range. To the west lies Pyramid Lake and the Virginia Mountains.

The Lake Range was also the location of the last skirmish of the 2nd battle of the Pyramid Lake War.
Tohakum Peak from Pyramid
 Pyramid from the summit of...

Mountains in the Range

The main peaks of the Lake Range are (in order from north to south)

Wildcat Peak (5724 feet)

Tohakum Peak (8182 feet)

Pyramid Peak (8101 feet)

Cui Ui Peak (6348 feet)

Getting There

Reno, Nevada is the closest metro area. From Reno go East on Interstate 80 and travel 25-26 miles to the Wadsworth exit (exit 43). Take this exit (Exit 43, NV 427), and drive a 1.5 miles to the city of Wadsworth, then take a left turn North onto NV 447. About 16 miles you will run into the city of Nixon. Continue North on 447 and you will see the Lake Range starting to rise along side of your west side.

To access a particular hike look visit the linked mountain pages for information.

Red Tape

Most of the Lake Range is enclosed within the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation. While these people have jurisdiction of the area, they also encourage tourists and recreationalists to come to Pyramid Lake. There are no fees to hike the mountains of the Lake Range or any other mountain range around the reservation unless the lake is used --- there are user fees for boating and fishing. Please obey all signs, gates, fences, and authorities.

Camping

Since most of the Lake Range is on the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation camping may be restricted in some parts. However, on the east side BLM land is very close -- refer to a map for exact border location. It is not popular to camp in the area but if one is discreet, you should not be bothered, except for some wondering wildlife.

External Links

  • Pyramid Lake
  • Pyamid Lake Paiute Tribe
  • 10-day forecast for Nixon, Nevada
  • A great 360 degree view from Tohakum Peak
  • Lake Range from Winnemucca Lake

    Click for Nixon, Nevada Forecast


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.