Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 41.40940°N / 122.19390°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 22, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Summary

route: Avalanche Gulch
starting elevation: 6900 ft (2100 m)
elevation gain: 7300 ft (2200 m)
distance: 11 miles (18 km)
summit box

In detail


We, I & my old climbing buddy (old in a sense how long I know him, rather than in a sense how long he lives) finally managed to make one more mountaineering trip. This time mt. Shasta - a small Cascade volcano, was a goal and a dream of our adventure. In order to avoid reinventing the wheel, we took the most standard route - Avalanche Gulch. Still trying to make it more exciting I agreed with my partner's persistent endeavor - run onto the mountain as soon as we reach the trailhead (otherwise it may escape and its chasing might be so long, hard and in critical circumstances eventually unsuccessful.

before sunrise


So, Thursday 05/21/09 evening we managed to get to Banny Flat trailhead. On the way we made a stop at Shasta ranger station in the town down the mountain, that as we discovered later, can be omitted, since summit and wilderness permits can be selfissued/bought right at Bunny Flat. A good point is that the number of summit permits is not limited and everyone getting to the trailhead is lucky to get one. Since it was only Thursday (before Memorial weekend) the parking lot was a half full. And since it was just end of May, the parking lot ended in a snow heap, I mean no drive way to the campground (Panther Meadows), where we planned to have a bit of rest after enjoying the mountain. Other campground on the way (McBride Springs) was also closed but the wilderness provides plenty of space to put a tent on a road side. In careful preparation mentally and spiritually and thereafter, going down to earth, what to take and what to dress, the next day came. After making a bowl of tea (from the second attempt) at 0:45 we finally left the parking lot and headed to night mountains. Snow fields began straight from the lot, so if in this season you decide that you are in a big fun of snowshoeing, you don't need to care them on your neck (at least on the way up). Multiple traces helped us to find the right way, I'd say the path was logical with slight variations making it hard to miss. As we discovered at the way back in a light time, there is a road up to the Horse Camp or even slightly above. To the Horse Camp the path has very little altitude increase, right above it, one becomes a bit steeper but mildly up to Helen lake where some people camp for summit bid. At this season (late spring) the lake itself isn't seen, just a snow hill and tents on its internal side. A bit after the lake, the path turns at about 90 degrees to east and becomes much steeper. This is the most physically demanding part of the route. Probably the most dangerous as well. Then path turns to north and squeezing between couple of rocks, you see a point which definitely above its surrounding. You start to get excited that you are close, one more push and you are on the summit. But mountain Murphy law: "The summit is always further than you think it is", works this time as usually. Another concern starts to come in your mind. You definitely saw people above (some of them even managed to pass you) but you don't see anybody descending... You are getting close to admit that the summit is still not that close. Passing the false summit you finally see the true one. Fortunately, after the false summit it becomes substantially less steep, that makes your life a bit easier. Accent angle increase only at the final bid to the summit but there people somehow comes to surprising mutual agreement on what is the right path, and on this last section of the road you follow very well settled switchback and finally appear on the summit. We was there at 11:45 (am). So, overall 11hrs ascent.

the path


I think it is slow, being in a better shape one can do it faster. Some people did, passing us on the way. Here everything depends on how fast you can adjust to altitude, assuming you are in a good physical shape as usually ;). The better the adjustment the higher your pace, the worse adjustment, the more pace you loose with altitude increase. This why sometimes it make sense (at least for me) to spent a night on a trailhead level.

On the way back with altitude decrease I started to revitalize and even reveal an ability to run down. Sliding tubes makes the way down even easier. In such a way the section passed on the slowest pace up, appeared covered in minutes on the way down. And we even didn't slide the whole way, just some sections! Going down one start to notice that after noon snow is melting and without a well settled path, we falling down up to knee level. This makes you move a bit slower and encourage you to accent faster a next time. Now we see our way in a day light and it is indeed different! On the way back we even seen the Horse Camp hut! At about 4pm we reached the parking lot in a state of satisfaction and appeasement.

Then we found an unattended spot on a road side, set up our camp and had calm and comfy night after a day of hard work.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
RickF

RickF - Jun 19, 2009 8:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Inspirational!

OKPDX,

I enjoyed reading your trip report. I tried Avalanche Gulch on the Sunday of Memorial Holiday but I made it only to 11,000, right before the steep section along the "Heart". Your success helps inspire me to make another attempt next year.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Table of Contents