Lava Canyon - July 10th, 2011

Lava Canyon - July 10th, 2011

Page Type Page Type: Album

Information

Trail has an easy loop that circles the top of the canyon and provides views of several waterfalls. This trail passes over two bridges, which one is a suspension bridge. A total distance of the upper easy loop is 1.3 round trip with a overall gain of 300 feet. While this trail is an easy loop be careful of the ledges if you bring your kids.

Instead of just doing the easy loop which is easily done in 15 minutes if jogging like I was, I decided to head to "The Ship". A 100 foot lava block in the middle of the Canyon. Altogether this trip with the upper loop is 3.3 miles round trip with around 1100 foot elevation gain. This trail has claimed a few lifes in past years, but for most it is a simple trail along a cliff and was just repaired in 2009-2010. There is a 40 foot ladder that is secured into a rock wall .8 miles away from the upper loop junction. From there it is a brief .2 or .4 walk up to the summit of "The Ship" Well worth the trip. Heading back take the other side of the upper loop not done before. The side I took on the way back provided a great view of the first waterfall that I did not get before.

Directions

Drive I-5 to Woodland exit 21 and turn right, following signs for Cougar. After 35 miles (6.7 miles after cougar) turn left onto paved Road 83; there are signs saying lava canyon. Drive 83 for 11.3 miles to the end of the road where the trail head is located.

Comments

No comments posted yet.