Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Kruck

Kruck - Oct 9, 2006 8:29 pm - Voted 8/10

Well said

A good primer on what not to do, reminiscent of the Berenstain Bears. You are lucky you did not hurt yourself, but your trip sounds like more "on the job" training than most people get all year.

A good report for rookie Rocky hikers (myself included) to ponder.

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Oct 9, 2006 10:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well said

Thanks for the comment. My first few climbs in Colorado, I fit the bill among the stereotypical "having-no-idea-what-I'm-doing-tourists" that are often so maligned for their ignorance in approaching these gigantic mountains. I am not proud of my mistakes and my neglect to do proper research before these trips, but as so many people I just did not realize what I was getting myself into. Three years later, I am not by any means experienced, but I definitely do not make the same mistakes I used to make. I have climbed/hiked with many veteran mountaineers and have tried to glean whatever information I could along the way. Yes, I was lucky I did not hurt myself, and I hope to do my part to help keep others from making the same mistakes.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Lessons Learned, Part 1: My First Fourteener' main page