Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Damien Gildea

Damien Gildea - Apr 1, 2009 5:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent!

Fantastic page, well done. One of the best pages ever on Summitpost.

D

Bruno

Bruno - Apr 2, 2009 9:04 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent!

Thanks Damien for your comment!

At the beginning I hesitated a bit between putting only the basics, or go as detailed as possible and insert every possible mountains (some would also say bumps…) in the range.

I chose the second option for the following reasons:

1) There is a lot of confusion on the peak naming in the area, and some peaks such as Kaluxung are still often confounded with Jangsang Lhamo or even Noijin Kangsang. By including all peaks and bumps with coordinates, altitude, prominence, name whenever existing, and a photo with shot location whenever available, I hope to help putting an end to this confusion.

2) Some reports also claim first ascents of "mountains", such as the first ascent of "Gama I – 6484m" by a Japanese in 2001, but when you look at the map you understand that this is only a highpoint with a prominence of around 20m, which would not qualify as a mountain even in the Alps. I also wonder why they called it Gama I, as according to the map there is no Gama II, III etc… but just a single point called Gama.

3) Last but not least, I think that too often people only pay attention to the big peaks in the so-called distant ranges… Distant range for whom? Except Antarctica (and in a lesser measure Changtang), humans also live near these mountains! Obviously there is not such as long climbing history as in the Alps, but a mountain is a mountain, and I don't see why we should apply different criteria for different regions of the world, just because some ranges have been less explored by Westerner, or because current maps are less accurate… In the Alps, a prominence of 30m is sufficient to be included in the official list of the 4000ers… I'm not saying here that we shall start considering each bump as an independent mountain, but it's good to remember that there is other mountains than Everest or Cho Oyo that deserve our attention in the so-called distant ranges… even though I might also go for Cho Oyo once… :)

To conclude with my digression, it would actually be a great addition if the prominence could be included in the header of each mountain here on SP!

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the page,
Bruno

Roger

Roger - Apr 2, 2009 5:12 am - Voted 10/10

Superb

Absolutely top notch, extremely well presented and most informative.
It is a credit to your extensive knowledge of the region
Thank you for taking the time to produce the Lhagoi Kangri East submission

Bruno

Bruno - Apr 2, 2009 9:05 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Superb

Thanks Roger! I actually started the page one year ago, but then just got lazy as the task was quite big. I'm glad it's now finished...

Corax

Corax - Apr 3, 2009 7:50 am - Voted 10/10

One of the best

I agree with Damien - one of Summitpost's best pages ever.

Bruno

Bruno - Apr 4, 2009 4:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: One of the best

Thanks Janne!

You may remember that I started posting on SP after I read a comment by someone making a disambiguation between Kaluxung and Noijin Kangsang... Until then I had been to the area without even knowing the names of the peaks I had climbed… :)

mstender

mstender - Apr 3, 2009 8:51 am - Voted 10/10

Awesome page!

Hey Bruno, this page is absolutely great. One of the best I have ever seen here on SP. The panorama feature is really, really cool. Thanks for doing the page.

Bruno

Bruno - Apr 4, 2009 4:05 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome page!

For the panoramas, I just followed the guidelines from this excellent article: 7 ways to post panoramas to SP. You can just copy/paste the codes, and everything becomes very easy!

What was a longer job was first to identify all the peaks without mistake, and then to enter the description on the pictures... As I don't have any sophisticated photo editing software (I just use Paint from Windows), each time I made a mistake I had to start again from scratch... It's maybe time that I switch to better software...

Dean

Dean - Apr 3, 2009 11:04 am - Voted 10/10

Outstanding effort

One word can sum up this page: "Excellent"

Bruno

Bruno - Apr 4, 2009 4:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Outstanding effort

Thanks Dean!

My face is turning red, but not for having spent too much time under the sun over the past days... It's time I move again for some more physical efforts! :)

Nanuls

Nanuls - Apr 7, 2009 7:19 am - Voted 10/10

Marvellous Page

There’s really no need to repeat what everyone else has already written, so I’ll just say – Great job!

stinkycheezman33

stinkycheezman33 - Apr 7, 2009 1:50 pm - Voted 10/10

thank you

for your work! this page is incredibly detailed, and the scenery of this region is gorgeous. thanks for sharing this corner of the world with us :)

RobSC

RobSC - Apr 7, 2009 9:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow

What a beautiful place. You've just added another place for me to visit somew day. Thanks for posting this.

jck

jck - Apr 10, 2009 2:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Agree.

Just a great piece of work.

jck.

ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - Apr 21, 2009 6:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Great page

you make that my pages on SP looks much much poor hehehe... Thanks for share this valuable information.

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Lhagoi Kangri East' main page