List of clothing for mountain climbing beginners

List of clothing for mountain climbing beginners

Page Type Page Type: List
Additional Information County: ALL
Sign the Climber's Log

Do you need a comprehensive list of gear?

This guide will really help you - here is a list of mountain climbing clothing, perfect for beginners.

Use this list as a checklist, striking every object as you build your collection.

Enjoy!

Equipment for your upper body:

You’ll need a windproof, breakable jacket and a medium/heavy jacket full of down or synthetic fill. If you can find a jacket with an insulated hood that’s even better.

You’ll need a 200 weight fleece as a warm layer, a down/synthetic sweater/vest and a couple of lightweight shirts; both long and short sleeved. You’ll find a white colour is best for refracting the sun; a dark colour will absorb the sun and make you too hot.

Women - you may prefer a synthetic sports bra, cotton is not appropriate for climbing a mountain.

For your lower body

You'll need a pair of gore-tex windproof, waterproof and breathable trousers. Some medium weight polar fleece trousers, some medium weight thermal leggings, a pair of walking trousers (not cotton), some nylon shorts (again, not cotton) quick-drying and finally, some lightweight long-johns.

For your hands:

Take waterproof over-mitts with a polar fleece mitt liner. Take a lightweight polyliner for tying knots.

For your head:

You’ll need a heavy weight warm hat or balaclava, a lightweight warm hat and a face mask to protect yourself from the wind. Take a sun cat, 100% UV protection glacier glasses and a headlamp with batteries and bulbs.

For your feet:

Plastic boots, light hiking/trail shoes, gaiters, sandals, liner socks, vapour barrier liners and heavy, warm socks.

Find out more (links)

Another equipment guide:

Here's a link to a comprehensive list of kit.

These sell lots of mountain equipment:

Mountain equipment

Guide to coming across the right gear:

The Rock B**ch