Little Rock Canyon, UT

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.00000°N / 111.00000°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 2, 2011
Activities Activities: Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here

Little Rock Canyon
Location: 40° 17' 09.49" N 111° 38" 04.30" W
Elevation: Trail head- 5200' Top- 7250'
Difficulty: 3-4, you'll need gloves, long pants and a long sleeve shirt, because it is a steep incline scramble through scrub oak and scree. Allow 2-3+ hours.

Trip Journal:
On July 1, 2011, I set out on an adventure into a canyon I had never been in before. I grew up at the base of Mount Timpanogos, and less than 5 miles from both Rock Canyon and Little Rock Canyon in Provo, UT.

I had always wanted to explore this canyon, so as soon as I could, I went exploring.

First, I rode my bike up to where I thought the trail should start, and surprisingly, there was barely a trail head. I almost had to climb through someone's backyard to get up to the trail! It was easy to find though, simply drive on roads that seem to lead to the canyon, and you'll find it easy! (It is essentially straight up the hill from Timpview High School, Provo, UT)

The next day, with a 25 lb pack, I started my trek. I started late in the day, about 6:45pm. I thought that I could get to the top before it got dark, and if not, I knew there were a few campsites within the canyon.

Now, let it be known that I am a hammock camper. There are a ton of places both within the canyon and up on top to hang a hammock. There were 2 places about 2/3 the way through the canyon (6500') to pitch a tent, and the spot where you come out at the very top (7200') is an actual campsite. The road is just 20 yards ahead.

As for following a trail, the best I can say is "get in the creek bed." There are a few obvious trails that will go around some hairy obstacles, but mostly, you'll be in the creek bed. There are some forks, but choose the one with the most water, and you'll be fine. When in doubt, go left.

Toward the top, (6950') you'll get out of the creek bed, and head left up the hillside as soon as there is a break in scrub oak. You'll be heading in the footsteps of the deer on game trails, so watch your footing. You'll be there in about 10 minutes!

The view from this vista is incredible. It overlooks Utah Valley and Utah Lake, which is amazing, especially at sunset. It also gives incredible views of Mount Timpanogos and Cascade Mountains.

I woke up in the morning, did a quick summit of Squaw Peak, and made it back down to my car at noon.

This is a great hike by itself. From here, you can hop on over to Squaw Peak (maybe an hour) or up to Provo Peak. This is an all day hike, so plan accordingly.

Special Packing List:
If you hammock camp, bring a bug net. I use the ENO Guardian BugNet.
100% DEET bug spray.
Water purifier. There is a lot of runoff in the spring, so no shortage of water.
Bandaids
Gloves

User Profile Image

Comments

No comments posted yet.