Looking South from the summit...

Looking South from the summit...

Looking South from the summit of Vogelsang. July 16, 2003.
Brett A
on Jul 24, 2003 10:47 pm
Image ID: 23688

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
desainme

desainme - Jul 25, 2003 12:24 am - Hasn't voted

Thumbnail was a poor indicator

Great picture once it is opened up. Is the big one on the left Mt. Lyell?

Misha

Misha - Jul 25, 2003 12:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thumbnail was a poor indicator

Big one in the center (slightly to the left) is Maclure. Lyell summit ridge is barely visible on the left side of the Maclure pinnacle.



Misha

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jul 25, 2003 4:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re:Maclure?

I'm pretty sure that's not Maclure. I thought it was Simmons, but upon closer inspection of the maps, it appears to be Peak 12,499ft. Simmons is two bumps to the left and one foot shorter. Maclure and Lyell may be those two small to the right, and the larger bump I think is Peak 12,358ft.

Misha

Misha - Jul 25, 2003 6:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Re:Maclure?

hmm... it looked like Maclure when I scanned the map. And this tiny bump over its left ridge looks awfully like the summit ridge of Lyell. But I am sure that you are right :)

Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Jul 25, 2003 7:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Re:Maclure?

That tiny bump looks a lot like Lyell to me, too.



But I think Bob is right. I took almost the same picture a month earlier. The lake in the foreground is Bernice (I think), the foreground peak is Peak 11998. The prominent peak in the background seems to be along the same ridgeline, i.e. Peak 12498.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jul 26, 2003 12:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Re:Maclure?

Yeah, that tiny bump with snow on it is confusing. While I'm pretty sure about Peak 12,499ft now, when Matthew, Michael and I were on Vogelsang I was convinced it was Simmons. The map shows Peak 12,499ft, Maclure and Lyell almost exactly inline when sighted from Vogelsang, so I'm not so sure the two bumps to the right are as I claimed. But that's how I labeled them on my picture, which is identical to Matthews (gee, I wonder why...)



Some guy I didn't know sent me email about a number of my pics in SEKI that are incorrectly labeled. Some of them were pretty bad guesses, and I made those after I came back and tried to match the pics to the maps. So I'm no expert.

mrolph

mrolph - Sep 26, 2003 3:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Re:Maclure?

I'm pretty sure the prominent bumb is Maclure. Peak 12,499 is directly in front of Maclure and is very hard to distinguish. Here's a similar picture with labels.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Sep 30, 2003 11:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Re:Maclure?

I'm so damn wishy-washy. :)

But now I think you are right. Lyell/Maclure/Pk12,499ft should all be inline, and my picture's labels don't look right at all. I think I'll change them yet again...

Viewing: 1-8 of 8