MALI I THATE – THE MOUNTAIN SEPARATING PRESPA AND OHRID LAKE

MALI I THATE – THE MOUNTAIN SEPARATING PRESPA AND OHRID LAKE

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 30, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking

Add Heading Here

1200 meaters of height that really worth to be climbed for having the wonderful views to the largests lakes of the Balkans – Ohrid and Prespa Lake. Valamares and Ostravica mountains can also be seen from Mali i Thate.

This mountain range separating Ohrid and Prespa Lake is most frequently climbed from Macedonia side at the peak called Galicia, which also gives the name to the national park.

According our measures the highest peak of this range is in Albanian side at the peak called Pllaja e Pusit, 2288 meters (see the map above).

The gradient of the slope is relatively easy but an early start in the morning is recomanded because the hike can least 8-9 hours including brakes.



The Hike

Maximum altitude: 2288 meter
Minimum altitude: 1050 meter
Cumulative height: 1240 meter
Cumulative length: 6.3 kilometer
Difficulty easy
Time: 4.5 hours up
Date of this record May 2012
Download GPS info: Mali i Thatë



The hike starts at the village of Alarupe. Stay close to the coordinates when you are close of the village because there are many crossings that can get you out of the path. As soon as you get on the main trail the orientation is easy and the trail leads you almost at the summit.

For climbing this mountain one doesn’t really need to folllow the path. Following the direction of mountain ridge is enough since the mountain is without trees and the slope is not steep. For a round trip you can follow the Detlef’s trail on the way up at Palmtreeproduction website that is shorter and climbes up through the meadows without a visible path.

See pictures at Endrit'sTrail website

Comments

No comments posted yet.