Marcial on the summit of Iliniza Sur

Marcial on the summit of Iliniza Sur

Marcial was my guide of the day, since Boriss was otherwise engaged. We had some unexpected obstacles to overcome early on the climb, thanks to poor visibility combined with fresh snow covering up the tracks from the previous days, but we made it up anyway!
rgg
on Jan 2, 2011 1:43 am
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing,  Scenery
Image ID: 688896

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
neoday

neoday - Jan 17, 2011 9:58 am - Hasn't voted

I know that guy

he brought me to the same place- glad to know he is still going strong. Congrats on the trip!

rgg

rgg - Jan 17, 2011 1:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I know that guy

He sure is (still going strong). Two days earlier he had been up there too, with is son I think. Much less snow then though, and no trouble with route finding.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jun 6, 2011 3:36 am - Voted 10/10

Neat photo

Looks like a good moment for him.

rgg

rgg - Jun 11, 2011 1:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Neat photo

It sure was, especially since the climb didn´t exactly go by the book. Due to a small dose of fresh snow and darkness he had a hard time finding the right place on the saddle to start climbing, and eventually, he just picked a splot that he figured was climbable, knowing it wasn´t the normal route.
After that, the fresh snow actually helped us, because it made the steep face a lot safer. If it had been hard frozen snow, a fall would have been dangerous, but now, self-arrest would be easy.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4