Viewing: 1-5 of 5
MikeLJ

MikeLJ - Apr 12, 2020 3:28 am - Voted 10/10

Texas looks good!

Hi Nader,
I have enjoyed reading this and your other TRs from Texas recently. I had no idea that there was such a large area of mountain wilderness in Texas. Having said that, my only visit was 20 years ago when I landed in Dallas to change planes... it was very flat around there!
Mike

nader

nader - Apr 12, 2020 8:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Texas looks good!

Thank you Mike,

Western Texas does have a lot of mountains. Unfortunately many mountains seem to fall on private property. Nevertheless, Big Bend National Park in southwestern Texas and Guadalupe Mountains National Park in northwestern Texas can provide you with endless hiking opportunities.
Big Bend is a huge park. Reaching many parts of it require multi day backpacking or extensive 4 wheel driving on rough roads.

Hopefully the Corona Virus pandemic will be over soon and you can come explore for yourself.

nader

nader - Apr 12, 2020 8:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Texas looks good!

Don't forget Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, Texas either.

MarkDask

MarkDask - Jun 20, 2020 4:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Too hot!

I attempted a day hike on this trail a few years go around April 1st. Closest I ever came to having heat stroke! I couldn't believe how hot it was. (I had just flown down from New Jersey where winter just ended a few weeks earlier.) I also started early in the morning while the start of the trail was in shade from the eastern hills.
I didn't go up the steep part, but continued up the trail from the saddle to what they called the "horse trail" to get up on the plateau. I got to the cairn where this trail met the main trail and knew I was in trouble with the heat. I had several liters of water but had filled my bottles from a spigot in the parking lot of the visitor's center and it tasted really bad. Headed back down via the steep trail (slid most of the way). Sat in a little bit of shade at the saddle and then further on laid down for a long time in a little bit of shade at one of the broken-down tramway trestles. Somehow got to my car and headed straight to the grocery store at Rio Grande village and bought some gatorade and salty chips--which I couldn't eat, then bought enough tokens for two showers and let the cool water flow over me.

nader

nader - Jun 20, 2020 5:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Too hot!

24 hours before the start of this hike, I had flown out of Chicago where it was 24 degrees. The day after Marufo Vega, I hiked Lost Mine Trail. It was cloudy and on top, I had to put on my jacket because the wind felt cold.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Marufo Vega Trail' main page