Matrimony Spring, Utah

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Additional Information Object Type: Roadside attraction
Additional Information County: Grand County

Reliable and valuable for over 100 years

On the north edge of the destination outdoor town of Moab is a fine asset with a long past. Fresh, chilled water pours out of a special crack in the tall, red rocks conveniently located next to the highway. The name came from dances that were held at the turn of the century often leading to marriages. Also, anyone who consumes this water is married to the area and often returns to live nearby. Residents and visitors park in the four or five unmarked asphalt spaces allowed. I have personally consumed at least 50 gallons of this water. I bring an assortment of jugs and containers from home. A local guy tried to claim the water for himself in court, but it was denied. There used to be a nice metal box to accumulate the water and dispense it from a pipe, but the county ripped it out to "turn it back to its natural state". The water flows 365 days a year, probably originating in the LaSal mountains 30 miles to the southeast. Quality better than anything you can buy, with the close match to Fiji imported, expensive water. If bottled and sold, Matrimony spring delivers $2000 an hour worth of water.

Getting there:

Local highway 128 (two narrow lanes) follows the Colorado River starting at the new river bridge (costing $36 million) and traffic light on US Highway 191. Just beyond the intersection, eastbound, east of the green Castle Valley mileage sign is your destination. There is also a new metal pedestrian bridge over the river, you park on the southeast side of it, on the south side of the road and river. These features are all right together.