Mera Peak climb becomes EBC trek

Mera Peak climb becomes EBC trek

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 27.70900°N / 86.86780°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 1, 2017
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

View of Island Peak, Makalu, and Baruntse, looking east from Chakhung Ri (18,000 feet)
Trip Report After Weather Changes Mera Peak Climbing Plans For Family of 3 Including 9 Year Old Boy

We are a family of three living in Colorado.  Our son recently finished 5th grade and we thought this would be a good time for a climbing trip to Nepal.  My wife and I had climbed there before and wanted to share the experience with our son.  We were able to take him out of school for 1 month and jumped at the chance before he starts middle school in the Fall.  In addition to living at 9,000 feet, we prepared in earnest for 1 year, getting Max (our son) ready and comfortable with the alpine climbing techniques he would need in our attempt to climb Mera Peak in Nepal.  We started a blog to document Max's unique background and preparation.  We wanted people (including family and friends) to know the decision to climb Mera Peak was not made on a whim and we felt comfortable (as did Max) with his skill set.  In no way do we recommend such a trip for every 9 year old.  We were fully insured, as was our crew, which included high altitude porters and climbing Sherpas.  As the title suggests, we encountered impassible snow and the trip became a fun trek to Kala Patthar and the Imja Tse area.  The blog contains two posts.  The first details preparations, gear, and Max's unique life in the mountains.  The second post includes my daily journal entries with pictures describing our Spring 2017 family trek in the Everest region of Nepal.  It was great. 

 


You can read the blog posts at:   gomountainlife.blogspot.com

Feel free to comment on the posts.  

Comments

No comments posted yet.