Michigan County Highpoints Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Chinigo

Chinigo - Sep 23, 2008 12:22 am - Voted 9/10

Correction to Barry Cty HP

BTW - I really like your page, so this is intended to be constructive!

I found that the point called French Benchmark on the Cloverdale USGS topo map is apparently 1138' in elevation. So, maybe you had a typo and then maybe the name was not clear.

Best regards, (Pete) Chinigo

dwhike

dwhike - Sep 23, 2008 7:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Correction to Barry Cty HP

Thanks, Pete...you are correct, it was a typo. I got the spot right but apparently misread or mis-typed the topo. I've gone ahead and corrected it on the page. Appreciate the heads up and glad you stopped to visit! Cheers, Dan

Chinigo

Chinigo - May 30, 2011 8:15 pm - Voted 9/10

Name correction needed

Hi Dan,

The correct name for the Kent County HP is Fisk Knob, not Fish. It actually has a decent view from the "summit". Also, I attached it to your page as a child.

Best regards, Pete

Chinigo

Chinigo - Jul 2, 2011 11:04 pm - Voted 9/10

One more correction

The high point of Cass County is not actually Bald Hill. Bald Hill is a sub-peak of another summit about 0.5 miles SW. I called it Bald Hill SW0.5.

solidago - Mar 1, 2012 9:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Houghton Co. highpoint errors

In terms of the location of the highest point in Houghton County, Michigan, there are two errors. First, the hill called "The Bluff" on the linked map is not "The Bluff." "The Bluff" is located two summits ENE of the hill shown, and is clearly indicated on topo maps by that name. In addition, it has a high bluff on the south side.
Second, the location of the highest point in the county is not certain from topographic maps; a survey might be needed. The elevation shown at the summit of the hill shown on the linked map is 505m, and the elevation shown on your site is 1659 feet. However, several closed 505m contour lines are shown in Houghton County in the area. One, about a mile SE of the summit shown on the linked map, has a spot elevation of 507m (1663ft). In summary, I can't guarantee where the highest point in the county is, but it's not where you have it located.

tansor01 - May 2, 2013 9:11 am - Hasn't voted

Grove Hill Elevation Error

The elevation of 1722'listed for Grove Hill (Osceola County, MI)would appear to be in error. The North America Vertical Datum of 1988 (NAVD88)and the National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1920 (NGVD29)both show an elevation of 1703'for this highpoint. While this location would still be the highpoint for Osceola County, it would appear to be lower than the elevation of 1706' for Briar Hill (Wexford County, MI) -- making Briar Hill the highest point in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan (assuming you use the USGS or accepted surveying benchmarks).

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Michigan County Highpoints' main page