Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 10, 2016
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

When your axe is buzzing and crackling, it's time to descend

In July I pulled together a quick family trip to the Tetons, with the goal of ascending the Southwest Couloir of the Middle Teton.  This was intended as a brief respite from daily grind, an opportunity to get the kids some more experience in alpine terrain, and bag a spectacular peak in the process.  With two nights in the Meadows of Garnet Canyon, we would have ample time for the summit attempt, and get to enjoy some downtime in the mountains.  

After a night drive from Salt Lake City and a quick sleep at the AAC cabins, we obtained our permits, chatted with the park rangers, and headed to the Lupine Meadows Trailhead.  Although the park rangers had communicated instability in the forecast, the weather was hot and sunny.  The rangers had also noted that the typical summer afternoon thunderstorm pattern had been less reliable of late, and that weather up high had been particularly unpredictable.  Conditions in the Southwest Couloir were expected to include some steep snow, but in general the beta from the rangers indicated that conditions were generally amenable to success.  

View from the AAC Cabins - July 2016
View from the AAC Cabins


Peak season on the Amphitheater Lake trail was busy--as expected--and we probably encountered forty people in the first three miles.  The boys knocked out the miles quickly, and we soon found ourselves taking the spur into Garnet Canyon, where the crowds quickly disappeared and we passed only a handful of climbers hiking out.  

Lower Amphitheater Lake Trail - July 2016
Lower Amphitheater Lake Trail

Garnet Approach - July 2016
Entering Garnet Canyon, Middle Teton in the distance

Beneath the Middle Teton - July 2016
Beneath the Middle Teton

In the Meadow we found a couple other climbers' tents, and our own spot in the lee of a large boulder, next to a rowdy stream.  The boys set out to explore the talus and boulder fields, and I spent a couple hours scouting up the south fork of the canyon that we planned to ascend the next morning.  The sunshine and balmy weather held, and we all enjoyed some quiet time amongst the summits and refreshed some basic snow travel skills with the boys.  

Garnet Meadows camp - July 2016
Garnet Meadows camp

Thing 1 and Thing 2 - July 2016
Thing 1 and Thing 2

Em dinner - July 2016
Preparing for dinner below the Grand Teton


A couple groups passed through after successful ascents of the Southwest Couloir, and it looked like would have no problems with conditions on the route.  We settled in early in anticipation of a pre-dawn start to give ample time to ascend with the kids, and hopefully beat any inclement afternoon weather.  At o-dark-thirty we roused the boys and started up the south fork of the canyon.  Navigation was pretty straight-forward, with most of the effort spent avoiding the steepest snow, the largest boulder fields, and seeking the most efficient route.  We were generally successful, and made decent time for a group of middle-aged weekend warriors with eleven and thirteen year old boys.  As the sun rose we found ourselves looking across to Nez Perce peak and a pink morning sky that made me a bit nervous.  


Alpine Start - July 2016
Alpine Start

Sunrise in the South Fork of Garnet - July 2016
Sunrise in the South Fork of Garnet Canyon

Below the South Fork Saddle - July 2016
Ascending to the South - Middle saddle


As we attained the saddle between the Middle and South Tetons at 8:00 am, clouds began to settle in from above and temperatures dropped precipitously.  A few short minutes later visibility had dropped to ten or twenty feet as we entered the white room.  We opted to hunker down for a quick snack and wait out what we hoped was just some passing morning clouds.  

South Saddle - July 2016
Morning on the South - Middle Saddle


Fifteen minutes after settling in, I heard what I thought was a passing airliner, but could have been distant thunder.  Our ears perked up and a few minutes later we heard an unmistakable but distant thunderclap.  With a second and closer repeat, we quickly made the frustrating but clear decision to descend from our exposed position on the saddle.  Within only few short minutes the distant thunder had become bright overhead flashes of light followed by cracking thunder as we were rapidly hopping down the boulders below the saddle.  Concern quickly turned to genuine alarm and a real bit of fear as I realized that my ice axe was buzzing and crackling like a Tesla coil.  Expecting the real possibility of an imminent nearby lightning strike, I quickly instructed my wife and kids to drop their axes and disperse into squatting positions.  

Although my wife and I have decades together amongst summits from the North Cascades, to the Selkirks and Sawthooths, to the Winds and the Wasatch; with some recent years trekking, marching, and scrambling our two boys through the mountains, I had never until that moment confronted real fear for the safety of my family.  Weathering a mountain thunderstorm from the confines of a well-placed tent can be exciting and fun; hiking across high and open terrain as lightning flashes around your family and induces a charge in your metal tools is not so enjoyable.  The imperative was to drop some elevation and find some relative topographical safety from the storm.  As driving horizontal hail and sleet arrived and the lightning tapered a bit, we took the opportunity descend, alternating rapid travel with dispersed squatting when the lightning resumed.  Progress seemed painfully slow, but we eventually descended to the deeper confines of the lower canyon and a margin of additional safety from the lightning strikes.  

A break in the storm - July 2016
A brief respite from lighting and hail

Back to the Meadow - July 2016
Dropping below the clouds and back into Garnet Meadows


Back in Garnet Meadows the clouds passed in and out, sleet and hail continued intermittently, and thunder rolled above.  It was late morning and we decided to wait out the storm in the tent, not completely abandoning the idea of a second attempt if the weather fully cleared.  The anxiety and alarm of the morning faded and we enjoyed our time napping, reading, and chatting.  

Hunkered down in Garnet Meadows - July 2016
Hunkered down in Garnet Meadows

Hayes family Garnet Meadows - July 2016
Tent-bound


As midday passed the mountains continued to put on an impressive display as the thunderstorm continued amongst the summits above us, punctuated by some impressively loud rockfalls, and some truly magical intervals of sunshine.  The few other climbers camped in the Meadows had departed and we had the area to ourselves.  We knew we would not be making a second attempt at the Southwest Couloir, but it was impossible to not find satisfaction and joy in our circumstances.  

Grand Teton - July 2016
The Grand Teton from Garnet Meadows

Teepee Pillar - July 2016
Teepee Pillar and the Grand Teton


The day passed on and we opted to stay through the night, gambling on better weather for a hike out the following day.  Our gamble came up a draw, with a cold morning and snow in the air--but without thunderstorms.  I whipped up a warm breakfast and hot drinks, we broke camp and maneuvered out through the boulder field under a light snow.  

Breakfast - July 2016
Cold morning, hot breakfast

Departure 2 - July 2016
Departure

Departure - July 2016
So long Garnet Meadows


A failed summit attempt but a memorable and happy trip to the mountains.  I think we shall try again next year.  

At the car
Ready for the next one






Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
reboyles

reboyles - Dec 9, 2016 7:50 am - Voted 10/10

Yup!

Nice report. As Kenny sang, "you've got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

Norman

Norman - Dec 9, 2016 2:11 pm - Voted 10/10

family

Wonderful trip report, glad it all went well. We don't always summit, but with this family outing... incidental... You are blessed.

wyopeakMike

wyopeakMike - Dec 10, 2016 12:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Next Year

I enjoyed your report and you made the right decision. Come back next year and hope for better weather. When the weather turns, the South Fork of Garnet is not a good place to be. The mountain is not going anyplace and your boys are still young. I see lots of people pushing on in the Tetons during bad weather and pushing your luck is not a good idea in these peaks. A good lesson for your boys, always better to come back in one piece.

Bark Eater

Bark Eater - Dec 13, 2016 7:14 am - Voted 10/10

Nice.

Nice report. I'm sure your boys now have respect for mountain weather. I loved the photos of the storm clearing. Thank you for sharing!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4