Middle Teton Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 154
Josh Behunin

Josh Behunin - Aug 8, 2021 9:17 pm Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2021

Me and the boys up on the middle teton  Sucess!

It was such a vibe, southwest chute is no joke and im glad that we were successful, a lot of people that day didn't summit because they started to late and got caught in the thunderstorms.

runbyu1

runbyu1 - Aug 17, 2020 5:24 pm Date Climbed: Jul 30, 2020

Run with Christian 3:45 Moving Time  Sucess!

My brother in law ran up starting just after 1pm. Fun day and good but hot weather. Garnett canyon is beautiful.
Didn't see a soul between Garnett Meadows are and the summit. We took an 18oz water bottle each with filter straws and about 4-500 calories each. We missed the Garnett cutoff and did an extra 35 minutes on the way up but still managed to make it to the summit in 3 hours. We were 5.5 hours car to car, including a couple of river bathing stops, a 10 minute talk with the park ranger, and about 30 minutes on the summit. I had 3:45 actual moving time total. We took it fairly easy on the way up and in cruise on the way down before speeding up the last couple of miles.

McCannster

McCannster - Aug 3, 2020 8:46 am Date Climbed: Aug 2, 2020

via Dike Route  Sucess!

First summit of a big linkup day. Bluebird weather. Exciting solo up the Dike Route, with short stretches of moderate snow. Down the SW Coulior, continued to South, Cloudveil, Nez Perce.

Andy73c - Jul 7, 2020 4:26 pm

Middle Teton  Sucess!

Climbed the MIddle Teton via Southwest Couloir 4 or 5 times

ToTheHeights

ToTheHeights - Oct 17, 2019 4:57 pm Date Climbed: Oct 16, 2019

Late Season SW Couloir   Sucess!

Lots of snow. Incredible ascent on a cold, crisp, bluebird day. Didn’t see a single soul the entire day; was stalked by a mountain lion throughout the morning. Memorable solo adventure for sure!

jamesmc2

jamesmc2 - Aug 24, 2019 9:33 pm Date Climbed: Aug 23, 2019

Teton ridge Traverse   Sucess!

Climbed in a big day as part of a Cloudveil Traverse Variation

Middle Teton
South Teton
Ice Cream Cone (5.6)
Gilkey Tower (5.6 var)
Spaulding Peak
Cloudveil Dome

cascadescrambler

cascadescrambler - Aug 3, 2019 2:24 pm Date Climbed: Sep 1, 1984

Crazy day  Sucess!

We started up the north ridge in sunshine, were getting whipped by rain by the time we got to the dike. By the time we summited, the whole top was buzzing. We crouched and touched base and quickly hurried off. By the time we were back in the dike it was snowing and zero visibility. The was no question of down-climbing the north ridge. I believe our guide took us down the ice couloir by a series of rappels.

Yulia Zi

Yulia Zi - Jul 5, 2019 3:54 pm Date Climbed: Jul 2, 2019

15hr car to car push > Summit (July 2019)  Sucess!

3am start from the Lupine Meadows Trailhead.
Car to car push with three stops to wait for the rain/hail to pass, some thunder as well.
Summit block was sketchy with lost of snow still on the route.
Crampons and an ice axe were a must.

Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow - Jan 21, 2017 5:24 am Date Climbed: Jul 19, 2016

SW Couloir Packed w Gapers  Sucess!

I summitted the Grand the day before and coming up that couloir seeing jean wearing teens wave ice axes around pushing rocks down the chute was a cringe-worthy sight to be sure. I gotta get back there and go straight up the vertical section of snow next time.

cjrandall

cjrandall - Sep 11, 2016 2:32 am Date Climbed: Sep 2, 2016

Made it to the saddle!

Started at the Lupine Meadows trailhead by headlamp at 4:15am with the goal of dayhiking Middle Teton via the Southwest Coulior with my buddy Michael. Us old guys could have been in *slightly* better shape, but had done some running beforehand to get a little acclimated to the physicality of the climb. Almost no snow left at all on the route this late in the season.

Hopping boulders in Garnet Canyon was exhausting, and we got off-route quite a bit and hiked far too high to the left above the Meadows. This definitely ate some time.

It was exhilarating to reach the saddle and see Icefloe Lake far below, Teton Valley, and the summit of Table Mountain in the distance. Then we looked up the couloir to our right and the summit just seemed impossibly high up and far off. Thunderclouds were threatening as well, so we turned back. Routefinding was easier on the way down, but there are obviously SEVERAL possible "routes" through the canyon, as we saw cairns in lots of different places.

Michael and I will come back next summer and knock it out! Probably will camp in the canyon and give us a little bit of extra daylight.

tlockling

tlockling - Mar 26, 2016 4:18 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 1986

SW Couloir  Sucess!

Great day. Summited about noon.

mfox79

mfox79 - Aug 23, 2015 12:45 am Date Climbed: Aug 22, 2015

SW Couloir  Sucess!

15 hours and 17 miles round trip car 2 car. we summited. the smoke in the air was over powering.fun scramble though

wyomtman

wyomtman - Aug 17, 2015 6:02 pm Date Climbed: Aug 15, 2015

SW Coulior  Sucess!

Great mountain and view! Didn't touch any snow. Very straight forward and popular, bring a helmet.

Matt Inman

Matt Inman - Aug 6, 2015 12:24 am Date Climbed: Aug 22, 2013

SW Coulior  Sucess!

This was my first trip to the top of a mountain in Grand Teton Natl. Park. I had only done easy 8-10 mile day hikes previously. The rangers at the station assured me I could make it in a day. I turned back at the saddle on the 20th due to weather (that never turned bad) but came back on the 22nd for another try. I'm terrified of heights so I was on the very top for about 30 seconds. I felt like the whole top of the mountain was going to fall into the valley. It is a long day hike, but except for the very top, I never really felt exposed. My only complaint : I was told by the rangers to follow the "climbers path" once you get beyond the end of the hiking trail. What I didn't realize, and what I don't think I was told, is that there are about 10 different climbers paths at that point. Looking back, I realize how stupid it was to follow a climbers path leading to the left, up underneath that face of what I think is the south Teton. But never having been there before, I just followed what looked to me to be the most heavily trafficked path. I'm sure I just missed the one I needed, the one that went right towards the middle Teton, not left towards the south Teton, but at the time, I was just busy moving trying to get to the top and back before the weather turned bad. There were a few times I heard rocks falling close by, but I eventually realized I was going in the complete wrong direction and was able to cross back to the right and get where I needed to be. A fun hike. Hope to make it to the south Teton this year.

Katebarker7 - Jul 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Re: windy

what was the snow coverage looking like up there? Mandatory glissading / ice ax?

JRaphaelson

JRaphaelson - Jul 21, 2015 1:54 am Date Climbed: Jul 17, 2015

windy  Sucess!

Tough wind, but the summit view was amazing

Michael Tilden

Michael Tilden - Jun 25, 2015 10:33 am Date Climbed: Jun 20, 2015

2x  Sucess!

Winter climbed early this early year (bad weather and deep snow) and again on June 20th (perfect conditions).

guerinak

guerinak - Jun 16, 2015 11:39 am

First Teton  Sucess!

This was my first climb in the Teton range, and it was a perfect introduction. Clouds early in the morning helped keep the snow hard and icy in the SW couloir, making for a fast easy ascent. Lots of fun glissading down!

ryan25haymaker

ryan25haymaker - May 19, 2015 12:00 am Date Climbed: Aug 30, 2014

Success on the Middle  Sucess!

This was an awesome mountain to climb in this range. In 2011, I fell down the Ellingwood Couloir 1200'. By God's grace I survived and was able to return and summit the Middle via the Southwest Couloir and had an amazing time.

Michael Tilden

Michael Tilden - Mar 23, 2015 11:43 pm Date Climbed: Mar 21, 2015

Made it to the SW couloir

Hiked/skinned up from Taggart Lake. Made it to the SW couloir. But turned around due to storm blowing in. Skiied down. Great trip!

Viewing: 1-20 of 154
Return to 'Middle Teton' main page