Mineral Bottoms. Utah

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Additional Information Object Type: Dirt Road, Moab, Utah
Additional Information County: Grand

Important access to the Green River & White Rim Trail

People take their boat to Green River town and travel downstream toward Canyonlands. They take out their boat in Mineral Bottoms area since few people can get a permit to enter the Park. August 2010 brought a huge rainstorm that washed out the long, steep dirt road leading up to the pavement. Engineers estimates were millions of dollars and years to pay to repair the technical road located far from the nearest town (Moab). A kind local contractor fixed the road for a fraction of the estimate and without any promise of immediate payment.

Getting there:

US highway 191 gives access to Moab and the four corners area. Local highway 313 takes off west starting 10 miles north of Moab. Island in the Sky area of Canyonlands National Park is accessed by this relatively new road. The dirt road to Mineral Bottoms starts about 12 miles into the journey on Hwy 313 toward the visitor center, about a mile south of Horsethief (signed)campground turnoff. Mineral Point, unsigned, similar name, is accessed using the nice dirt road continuing west past that campground. Mineral canyon is between Mineral point and Mineral Bottoms, all on the west side of the highway.

Today's Update: 05/17/2012

I parked my car at the top of the switchbacked Mineral Bottoms road today (located 12 miles from the pavement of Hwy 313)and walked to the bottom and over to the boat ramp (about 3 miles). Most of the dirt road is wide enough for two cars and all of it is suitable for family sedans. Nice trees, pit toilets, and birds singing at the ramp. Not busy at all. Space signed for overnight parking. Most users today were base jumping off one of many red rock cliffs and chuting down to the trail, a wild one minute ride. The Green River is wide, slow, and very nice for your boat, canoe, or brief (cold) swimming.