Monte Cristo Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Cascade Scrambler

Cascade Scrambler - Sep 7, 2008 10:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Index/Galena road route is washed out (can be reached by way of Skykomish though)

Index/Galena road is washed out 6.4 miles from SR2. The damage is so severe that there is talk of not doing any repairs. Currently, and for the foreseeable future, you do not want to follow the "getting there" directions.

If you want to climb Monte Cristo Peak from the Blanca Lake TH, just keep driving past Index. In fact, go all the way past Skykomish. Approximately one mile past Skykomish, you'll find Beckler River road on the left. Turn left here. Drive Beckler River road all the way to Jack's Pass. At Jack's Pass, continue driving, descending from the five way interesction at Jack's Pass on the main road. (Index/Galena road and Beckler River road are essentially the same road, by the way.) Forest Service Road 63 is just before the gate on the right (there's signage) on Index/Galena road. The drive from Skykomish to 63 is 15.1 miles. It's considerably out of the way, but not impossible to get there.

Klenke

Klenke - Sep 7, 2008 11:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Index/Galena road route is washed out (can be reached by way of Skykomish though)

Thanks for reminding me that I need to update pages affected by this washout. So many things to keep track of and there always seems to be one more washout waiting its turn to form with the next storm (hey, that rhymed!). I'll make the necessary edits soon.

One part of the delay is I prefer to wait until a decision is made (for repair, for example) for an approach or route before I make any edits, lest I have to undo what I did.

Cascade Scrambler

Cascade Scrambler - Sep 13, 2008 10:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Index/Galena road route is washed out (can be reached by way of Skykomish though)

I completely understand. I was considering making some phone calls to see if they've made a decision about repairs yet- if I find out something concrete, I'll make sure to let you know.

mattjordan - Jul 17, 2022 1:16 pm - Hasn't voted

North Col Chimney now bolted

The 5.6 chimney for gaining access to the summit via the North col now has several bolts placed on it. These look fairly new (as of 2022), and the summit register indicates they've been there for a year or two

Klenke

Klenke - Jul 18, 2022 11:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: North Col Chimney now bolted

Figures. In my opinion they should be chopped. The peak is in the Henry M. Jackson Wilderness. That chimney isn't even that difficult. If someone isn't capable of climbing it with traditional pro, then maybe they shouldn't climb it or dumb it down with bolts.

I have a feeling I know what local climbing organization is behind the placing of the bolts.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Monte Cristo Peak' main page