Monte Giove

Monte Giove

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Add Heading Here

The Monte Giove is a a 3009 m mountain of the Lepontine alps, in Formazza Valley. It can be reached by starting from the Eugenio Margaroli mountain hut (m 2194), crossing the dam of Lake Vannino (m 2173) and following at first a mule track (G31-G33) which runs along the eastern shore of the lake, then, close to the (southern) end of the lake, a path detaches and goes up the sloping grasslands on the left (here marmots can be heard and seen), finally leading to Busin Pass (m 2493, about one hour from the hut). From there, the path (now G33) goes town towards the Lower Lake Busin (m 2396) and the runs along its eastern side till the (southern) end of the lake, where, next to the dam, there are the house of the watchem of the dam (m 2409), and the small Busin Bivouac (about half an hour from Busin Pass). Here a sign showes the way to Monte Giove, though at first the path is not very clear; one has to go up the sloping grasslands on the left, towards the mountain, following the cairns as he spots them. Finally one reaches a clearer path, which leads to a small sort-of-plateau with stones (the grasses end shortly before) and a few little snowfields (which is not necessary to cross), below the summit of Monte Giove (about one hour is left from here). Now starts the final ascent; once again the path almost disappear, and one has to go up the stony grounds, following the signals here and there, until he finally reaches the summit. Here are two summit crosses and a summit book; the panorama includes the Arbola, Basodino, Nefelgiù and Busin-Pojala groups, as well as many of the artificial (or not) lakes of the Formazza Valley, including Vannino (just a little, because it is mostly hidden by the nearby Punta Clogstafel), Upper and Lower Busin, Toggia and Castel.
The ascent takes more or less three hours and a half from the Margaroli mountain hut. The way down is on the same route; one has to be careful in the first part (just below the summit), because it is not so difficult to lose the signals and thus to have to go down the stony grounds, with remarkable risk of causing stones to fall.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Comments

No comments posted yet.