Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.9742°S / 43.0186°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1450 ft / 442 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Mourão localizes where the sea and land meets.Is a gnaisse mountain in Tiririca State Park.The range divides two towns, Niterói and Maricá, and have another peaks that people not visit because, Don't have trail to access to the peaks. The State Park was created to stop the constructions around the mountains. The joint ownerships invades the forest with big mansions, destroying the wildlife and the trees for a sumotuous way of life.The are another mountain very visit too, Mount Tucum ( 240 mts ), with big wallls to climb and a fantastic view of Itacoatiara Beach, Niteroi city and all Rio de Janeiro, with the beaches and mountains. From Mourão, you see all of Tucum's view and more, Marica town with your big beach, Itaipuaçu with 20 km of coastline. The trails are very easy to the summits, just 1 hour for Mount Mourão and 20 minutes to Mount Tucum.

Getting There

Niterói is the 2nd big city in Rio de Janeiro State, it is in the other side of Guanabara Bay. From Rio de Janeiro, the distance of Tiririca State Park is 40 km of good roads, including Rio-Niterói Bridge and Francisco da Cruz road ( Niteroi ). For climb the mountains, you'll get an easy trail to the Sallon. Saloon is the forking of two trails, Mourão and Tucum trail. Tucum is the nearest, has a rock trail to the summit and, just 500 mts of a scarp trail put you on the summit.Mourão has a slippery and scarp trail, with a difficult in just two points when, the climber have contact with abysses but, be attention and you pass without danger.

The Trail

Some informations of the trail to get the summit.

Red Tape

The State Park just say to you to be careful with a wildlife, forest and yourselves.

When To Climb

Every day you can go there. just decide to go there at a sunny day.

Camping

I don't recomend to camp there. The State Park Police forbid the campings because the security with the wildlife and fires.

Mountain Conditions

www.cptec.inpe.br to forecasts.

Agulhinha Guarischi

Agulhinha Peak is a rock formation united with the Mourão block. There are many routes to climb there.

East Wall ( Itaipuaçu Beach Side )

Another great point of view of this beautiful mountain. The people that live here, call this mountain like Pedra do Elefante ( Elephant Stone ) because, the outline remember the animal.

Mourão's Wildlife

Examples of Atlantic Fauna, vegetation and forest.