Monte Vioz Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Bor

Bor - Jun 18, 2005 9:06 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for all your information. Very useful. Come back today when I will renew page.



Cheers!

Claude Mauguier - Jun 16, 2005 3:44 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

35 years ago, there were no cable cars, so one had to follow the track followed by austrian troops during WW1


Rifugio Vioz was old Bremer Hütte, built in 1911 by DÖAV (Deutscher-Österreicher Alpen Verein). This was used by the Command Staff units of K.u.K. army, as Vioz was the core of the southern Ortler front. The main ridge, running N-S from Cevedale, suddenly turns E-W, as this summit forms the south-eastern angle of Forni glacier system. Thus the view from the top was including the whole ridge towards Taviela, San Matteo, Tresero and San Giacomo peaks. A direct attack from N was therefore almost impossible, a pair of machine guns beeing sufficient to stop any attempt. All the surroundings are filled by old war ruined buildings. In val degli Orsi, more to the west under Pta Cadini SW flanks, the remainings of a main Field Hospital of the zone may be encountered (around 2500 m. along path n° 122).


I think that starting from Pejo provides a good training approach, as well as nice views. By the far western extremity of the village (near San Rocco) starts a little local road where one should find the landmarks of path n° 105. This progressively bends N then NE, and due N again, in order to reach a suddent turn (end of the little stone covered road) near point 2007 m. Now you just have to follow the unending track, sometimes carefully covered with flat rock slabs, as heavy mule and men traffic used this way between 1914 and 1918. Taking a glance upwards, a sharp profile comes progressively more present : dente del Vioz, as you are following now the right (NE) flank of the loose SE rock ridge aiming to the top. As well as another companion, always looking at you from Pejo already, and seeming to escape more and more from your grasp...: Mantova Hut. Allow 6 hours from Pejo, or 7 taking it quietly, and start early, as you are on the S flank, with absolutely no shadow to hide from the sun....


See books section for more tips.

Claude Mauguier - Jun 16, 2005 3:56 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

In italian : "Ortles-Cevedale", by Gino Buscaini, in the Guida dei Monti d'Italia series, published by CAI/TCI





The most convenient map (unless you hire a sherpa to carry the large amount of traditional little square shaped official IGM local 1/25000 maps, useful for the whole area...:-) is : Tabacco 1/25.000 "Ortles-Cevedale", n° 8 sheet. Taking into account that the far western (Braulio), eastern (Zufritt-Hasenhörl), southern (Redival) outliers are cut off from this sheet.

Claude Mauguier - Jun 16, 2005 4:17 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

The literature titles covering the period and the area as well are...astronomic in number !


Just a very few indications :





1 -To have a good picture general overview :


Carlo Artoni "Gletscher und Täler der Ortler-Cevedale Gruppe" - Reihe berge u. Gletscher der Rhätischen und der Ostalpen - Manfrini Verlag - Trento (with bibliography).


The same title must be available in italian.


ISBN 88-7024-259-5





2 - As a general local WW 1 good summary :


Heinz von Lichem "Gebirgskrieg 1915-1918"


equivalent of :


"La guerra in montagna 1915-1918" (Ortles, Adamello, Giudicarie, Garda Ovest), also with a sufficient bibliography to keep on searching...


Editrice Athesia/Athesiadruck, Bozen/Bolzano


ISBN 88-4014-619-7





Local bookshops (Trento, Bolzano, Bormio, Merano, Malè, and all along Sole or Vinschgau valleys) should be crowded with such references, and also brand new titles !





Bor

Bor - Jun 18, 2005 9:06 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for all your information. Very useful. Come back today when I will renew page.



Cheers!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Monte Vioz' main page