Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Jun 18, 2008 8:55 pm - Voted 10/10

It's always good to know...

about places like this one while on a long journey. Thanks for putting this together. This place reminds me a bit of the Cathedral Gorge State Park, NV which is not really a place you would want to drive just to go there, but it's an awesome pit stop along the way with hiking possibilities.
I appreciate the section about fossils. Very interesting.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 19, 2008 2:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: It's always good to know...

Thanks, Anya. It was nice to "discover" this place on the long drive across Kansas. I wish I'd known about the fossils back then, though. Near where I live, there are some places where you can scrape the clay and find fossilized sharks' teeth. It would have been neat to do so out in Kansas.

It's interesting that you mentioned Cathedral Gorge. My brother and I camped there one night seven years ago and hiked the trails there, and I got several nice pictures. I thought the place was amazing and have sometimes thought about making a page here for it. Maybe that'll be something to do this August after I return from Montana and look for breaks from all the chaos of what will soon be three kids in the house!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jun 24, 2008 5:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Bob ...

I think its "people" can go, but the mountains can't.
I've been to Nevada several times, never at Cathedral
Gorge or Castle Rock. What's really neat about Nevada
is, you can get off the main roads and AWAY from the
rest stops and visitor centers, and never see anybody.

Good luck with the kids! If you buy them all a bag of
'mixed nuts,' they might get the hint???

Larry :)

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 24, 2008 9:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bob ...

Larry, Cathedral Gorge is beautiful. Later this summer, I may throw up a page for it, and you can see what you've missed!

I agree completely about Nevada, and I love it for that.

I think I will give each kid a bag of sedatives instead!

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Jun 25, 2008 7:33 pm - Voted 10/10

As usual

another informative posting. Have a great time in my neck of the woods when you are here.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 26, 2008 11:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: As usual

Thanks, and you know where to find me if you need to escape for a day!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 28, 2008 11:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page

Thanks, Gareth. I was relabeling my photo albums recently, and when I got to the Monument Rocks ones, I got to thinking how Kansas had almost nothing on SP and that the rocks might make a decent page, so I went for it. I actually enjoyed my trip across Kansas a few years ago and felt the drive through was clean and relaxing, but Monument Rocks was definitely the standout. I wish I'd gone to Castle Rock, too, but there's always next time.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Monument Rocks' main page