Moonraker - Ever used a boat as a belay?

Moonraker - Ever used a boat as a belay?

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 50.39607°N / 3.48951°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 26, 2015
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Fall

Moonraker - Ever used a boat as a belay?!

Warm greetings Summit Posters on a cold, damp day from Bristol in the UK!

Have you ever used a boat as a belay?! Well here is a short HD film I recently made about fellow climber and accomplished sailor, Captain Bob, who had this long held dream to combine his two great passions of climbing and sailing to "belay from the boat" if you will, on one of the UK's greatest rock climbs called Moonraker at The Old Redoubt, Berry Head near Brixham. Moonraker is truly one of the epic climbs of South West England with a stunning line, superb atmosphere, spectacular positions and steep, scary climbing on big holds...

In the words of the Captain himself, this ambition had "been in gestation for about 25 years to sail in, do the route, abseil down, back into the boat and then off we go". And so this long planned "sailing meets climbing" escapade finally came to fruition last September when the stars aligned themselves, the weather forecast looked great, the bird ban had ceased, the light winds were blowing in the right direction for our boat and England lost at egg chasing to the Welsh in the Rugby World Cup. So my buddies and I found ourselves stood on St Mary's Beach near Brixham on Saturday 26th September at 7.30 am, ready to be whisked away by the Captain in his fantastic boat, the inimitable MS Erin...

Anyway the entertainment was duly recorded so for anyone interested in viewing a short video featuring the lovely Erin, a bit of brain-melting exposure plus some aerial drone footage and of course to see if Cap'n Bob fulfilled his long held dream then this is the story of our day:

You cannot fail to notice there is a bit of a "theme" in the video what with the climb being called Moonraker, my mate and I (being landlubbers) ending up "shaken not stirred" due to a wee bit of sea sickness and a few "Bob girls" in the opening/end credits...

Anyway all constructive feedback welcome, please feel free to share and hopefully it may brighten up a grey, damp day on a lunch or tea break! :-)

CheersĀ 

Dave




Comments

No comments posted yet.