Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
BobSmith

BobSmith - Jan 18, 2011 2:12 pm - Voted 10/10

I...

used to work with a guy from that area. He was always telling me to visit the place, that I'd be amazed at the mountains, forests, and springs.

Lolli

Lolli - Jan 18, 2011 3:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I...

cool. Do it.
He's right.
We came from Anguilla, a lowlying island of sand, to this. The contrasts couldn't be larger.
The beaches are better at Anguilla, but the rest is better in Dominica.

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Jan 18, 2011 3:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I...

Bob, Dominica is really in a class by itself. Happy to give some pointers if you ever get to planning a trip.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jan 18, 2011 3:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I...

Sure! Where should I stay? Should I rent a vehicle? What's the food like? Drinking water safe? Locals nice folk? Etc.

Lolli

Lolli - Jan 18, 2011 4:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I...

It's left hand side driving and they drive like maniacs on the switchback roads. Maybe we should mention that.. . but, yeah, you need to rent a car.
Locals VERY nice. Local food is better, they serve you what they think tourists like. It's ok, but...

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Jan 19, 2011 5:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I...

Bob, I put my number one lodging tip for the entire Caribbean in the "Camping and Other Lodging" section of the page. It's called "Papillote" ....

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jan 20, 2011 6:49 am - Voted 10/10

Re: I...

OK! Thanks!

Baarb

Baarb - Nov 17, 2011 10:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Page remake?

Hi, I was wondering if there was another Morne Diablotin page before this one? Had a link to it (http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/155394/morne-diablotin.html) on another page but that's now dead. Searching by the mountain name turned up this though which was made relatively recently. Curious.

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Nov 18, 2011 2:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Page remake?

Hi Baarb--
I think what you're seeing is a ghost of Lolli's original Diablotin page. A couple of years she put up a list of her pages for adoption and also noted that she'd just deleted several pages, including this one. I volunteered to co-own this one with her and work on it, so she put it back up. The prior page wasn't all that different from this one. We DO need help in upgrading this page!
Chris

Baarb

Baarb - Nov 18, 2011 12:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Page remake?

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry I can't be of much help as I haven't been there but it looks fairly comprehensive. Perhaps just lacking a map and a few more photos. Cheers.

Lolli

Lolli - Dec 15, 2011 2:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Page remake?

:-) Almost true. I didn't put any up for adoption though, I gave them to chosen ones I knew would take good care of them. chugach mtn boy saved this page from being deleted.

There's a distinct lack of usable photos, and we have asked for them, would gladly add them if anybody who's been there too could contribute with any.

Scott

Scott - Jan 11, 2012 10:15 pm - Hasn't voted

More photos and information

As asked, I have added many more photos. You can keep or use what you like and if there are any you don't want, feel free to detach.

If you need me to add more information as well, I can do that as well.

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Jan 11, 2012 11:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: More photos and information

Thank you!! These are excellent. I'll definitely work them into the page if that's what you'd prefer, but I also have a different idea: give you co-editing rights and let you update at will based on your fresh knowledge. Lolli and I haven't been down to Dominica in quite a few years, and here you are--you were there LAST WEEK. Can I interest you in a collaborative page?

Scott

Scott - Jan 12, 2012 12:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: More photos and information

Sure. If you wanted to share the page, I could add quite a bit of info on it.

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Jan 12, 2012 12:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: More photos and information

You're on! Rights granted. Fyi, the page currently is mostly in Lolli's voice with some editing and detail from me. But neither of us are at all possessive. We just like the mountain and think this kind of page is really useful for travelers. Please feel free to change ANYTHING. Your summit log entry would make some excellent text, for example.
Cheers
Chris

Lolli

Lolli - Feb 3, 2012 6:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: More photos and information

Good move! Why not use more of Scott's photos? As the summit photo for instance...?
Cheers.

Scott

Scott - Apr 14, 2012 5:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: More photos and information

I made many changes to the page, but made sure the old version of the page was preserved under "Page History", just in case you didn't like any changes.

Many of the old links were dead (such as those for weather forecast), so I replaced, added more or deleted the old ones. Info into the existing text was added as well as a few new sections (such as "Red Tape" because things have changed since your visit to Dominica).

The Getting There and Climbing the Mountain sections still need work. I was thinking of adding a route page and sticking much of the information there, so the page isn't too long or cluttered with all of us adding info (I still have a bunch of additional Getting There are Route Details to add).

Anyway, let me know what you think.

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Apr 26, 2012 5:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: More photos and information

Thanks Scott. I'm delighted you jumped in with improvements. I'll take a closer look when I get home ... in Morocco now, among other things getting some great new SP material.

Lolli

Lolli - May 27, 2012 11:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: More photos and information

Great work, Scott!
I am fond of layouts with many photos, but I leave which and if decision to chugach mtn boy. :-)

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Nov 2, 2014 2:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: More photos and information

Scott, thanks for doing more work on the page last year. I have done a bunch of cleanup and fact correction today (a lot of things have changed since you, I, and Lolli were first there), and added some hot links.

Lolli & Scott: Due to formatting issues, please only use the "old" SP editor on this page.

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Return to 'Morne Diablotin' main page