Viewing: 1-4 of 4
StartingOver

StartingOver - Jul 16, 2015 12:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice report

I'm hoping to climb Agassiz by this same route later this summer. I'm worried about the altitude, being someone that lives at sea level and started having some problems at 10,000 feet on Baldy. If I do this climb it also will be my first "real" class two since I was 15. But it looks doable and this report is helpful. I'm hoping I get the chance!

Diesel

Diesel - Jul 16, 2015 1:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Acclimatize

You will have to acclimatize a little. This was my 3rd hike in 3 days, so I was OK. I don't need more than a day of acclimatization, but I'd recommend for you to do a lower peak first. You can also, the day before hiking Agassiz, spend a couple of hours at South Lake, walking around. Good Luck.

StartingOver

StartingOver - Jul 17, 2015 11:50 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Acclimatize

Thanks for the tip. My problem, as always, is complete lack of time. Ideally I'd take a week off, spend a day or two at a place like Mammoth, start doing some day hikes in the South Lake Area or other similar places, and then climb Agassiz at the end of the week after being fully acclimatized. But my schedule will force me to come to Bishop the day before from downtown LA, and probably drive back after the hike unless I'm too tired.

If the altitude is too much I will just enjoy the Bishop Pass Trail, which looks fantastic. Even just making it to Long Lake would make the trip worthwhile for me. My main goal is to hike in the High Sierra for the first time -- climbing Agassiz would just be the cherry on top.

I like the suggestion of spending some time at South Lake the day before and I will do that -- assuming I am able to plan the trip at all. I may also try to stay at the place in Aspendell the night before.

Congrats again on the climb and thanks for the advice.

Diesel

Diesel - Jul 17, 2015 12:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Acclimatize

I live at almost see level. I get affected by altitude at about 11,000 ft, if I don't get acclimatized. However, I never go hiking without altitude sickness medication. My doctor prescribed me this medication. I take it a couple of days before hiking and a few days after I start hiking. I always do a hike around 13,000 before I start the 14,000 ft peaks. After that, I will not need it anymore. For a week of hiking, that will do the trick. For a day or two of hiking, that will not do the trick. The medication is tricky in itself since acts as a blood thinner. In conjunction with effort I always get nose bleeds. Not bad, but I get them. That is the sign for me that I don't need it anymore.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Mount Agassiz 2015' main page