Mount Buckskin Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 51
Scott

Scott - Aug 23, 2021 6:27 pm Date Climbed: Aug 18, 2021

Buckskin Mountain  Sucess!

August 18 2021

After work, I finally got a weather window to climb Mount Buckskin. I climbed both summits (I couldn't tell which one was higher) from Kite Lake. It hailed just a little, but overall the weather was good.

August 13 2021

I had to do some work in the morning, but after that I headed for Kite Lake and Buckskin Mountain. I wouldn't get to Kite Lake until after noon, but it looked like the weather might hold so I decided to give it a shot.

I only made it to 12,560 feet before the skies started darkening and there was some thunder. I met a climber there coming back down with his dog. I decided I'd better not take a chance with lightning and headed back down. As I descended there was rain, hail, and graupel.

This was my second failure on Buckskin in the past three days, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Maybe the third time will be the charm?

August 11 2021

After work, I decided to make an attempt on Buckskin Mountain at sunset. I headed up the steep trail to Lake Emma and then headed cross country towards the peak. With fading daylight, I stepped into a hole in the marshy area and sank up past my knees. Since it was about dark by then and since I was soaked, I only headed up to 12,300 feet before deciding that I'd head back and give it another shot on a different day.

Steven Cross

Steven Cross - Jul 30, 2021 7:54 pm Date Climbed: Jul 8, 2021

Steep but amazing   Sucess!

Decided to head up the east slopes because there was grassy slopes on that end. That way I would join the ridge line instead of heading directly to the peak.
After summiting I headed over to the sub peak on the west side. The ridge line between the 2 peaks made for a fun narrow walk.
The view was fantastic and this peak was well worth the effort up the steep slopes.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm Date Climbed: Apr 9, 2019

cold windy day  Sucess!

went over Loveland to Buckskin, solo, cold day.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Jan 8, 2018 11:23 am Date Climbed: Jan 5, 2017

Dry Winter   Sucess!

3rd time 1/5/17: With Rachael, NE slopes in late fall conditions... but in January. Seriously hurting for snow in Colorado. Drove almost all the way to Kite Lake, some other people did. No snowshoes. No gaitors. Hiked mostly on grass and talus with a few short sections of minor willow postholing. I guess it still counts as calendar winter?
4th time 2/19/22: With Lindsay and Derek, NE slopes. Not much snow above treeline but snowshoes were nice lower down. Windy on the ridge.

Foxy Long Bottoms

Foxy Long Bottoms - Apr 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: WTF

That looks seriously fun (Type 2). I have better luck on more difficult exploits so maybe I should try to get Buckskin that way. Thanks for sharing.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Apr 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Re: WTF

My friend Jed and I did this trip back on April 5th 2012, where Buckskin was the last peak we did. That was a long, 12 peak day with brutal winds though.

Foxy Long Bottoms

Foxy Long Bottoms - Apr 9, 2017 9:29 pm Date Climbed: Jul 2, 2017

WTF  Sucess!

7/2/17 Quick and anti-climactic summit after going up the wrong peak first.

5 failed winter attempts. Anyone want to join me for the 6th? Lets go in summer!!!!!!!

Winter 2015 Didn't reach summit but skied the NF from 13k'
Winter 2015 Stuck Jeep
Winter 2016 High avy danger, wind slab, Insane wind
Winter 2017 Late partner. Went up Windy Ridge for a quickie instead and ended up in Alma. Oops!
Spring (winter conditions)2017 South Ridge Ill partner and:
http://www.summitpost.org/blustery-on-buckskin/997063/c-151927

nader

nader - Nov 9, 2016 12:12 pm Date Climbed: Sep 26, 2003

Mt. Buckskin  Sucess!

My original log seems to have been deleted. Nice fall day with a little bit of snow on top.

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Sep 19, 2016 6:46 pm Date Climbed: Sep 12, 2016

Short and sweet  Sucess!

Steep but solid hike from Kite Lake.

BradBartick

BradBartick - Jul 27, 2016 6:11 pm Date Climbed: Jul 27, 2016

Tweto Ridge Traverse  Sucess!

To Buckskin from the saddle between Tweto and Buckskin. Basically, park at the mentioned fork in Mosquito drainage right before you'd cross the creek. Walk the road (leads north) all the way to the dilapidated roof structure which resembles my first apartment after college. The rusty mattress also brings nostalgia. Anyway. A cable extends through the air to a former mine on the hill. Hike to that mine. Then hoof it over loose class 2-ish rubble to the ridge. I hit Buckskin first, then climbed the entire ridge back to Tweto and then came down the saddle to the south of Neato, back to my old apartment, then took the road back to the car. This seemed a lot better than walking way west to Twetos summit first, then the ridge to Buckskin, then a long long rolling ridge walk plus an extended walk back to your car. Or shuttling the Kite Lake way. More ridge climbing this way!

habaceeba

habaceeba - May 5, 2016 4:13 pm Date Climbed: Jun 29, 2014

Buckskin  Sucess!

from above Buckskin Joe

cftbq

cftbq - Sep 9, 2015 9:46 am Date Climbed: Aug 4, 2015

From Kite aLake  Sucess!

Very windy day, so bailed on Loveland. Just me & the dog on the mountain. Centennial #65.

Kiefer

Kiefer - Sep 5, 2015 10:28 pm Date Climbed: Sep 1, 2015

Long Day  Sucess!

Second time up here. It's nice to have the whole mountain to yourself when you can watch the 40-50 ppl hike up Democrat!

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Mar 16, 2015 4:15 pm Date Climbed: Jan 20, 2007

Twice, both in winter  Sucess!

1/20/07 - Hiked the standard route from the winter closure at Paris Mill on the Kite Lake road. Bopped over to Loveland Mountain afterwards.

3/15/15 - Started hiking at the winter closure near Paris Mill on the Kite Lake road. Lovelend -> Buckskin -> Tweto -> Treasurevault -> Mosquito -> Kuss -> London. Ended at Mosquito Pass winter closure (car shuttle).

rmjwinters

rmjwinters - Jul 26, 2014 4:53 pm Date Climbed: Jul 26, 2014

Crowd Avoidance  Sucess!

It was fun to avoid the other 300 people heading to the 14ers. Had this one to myself.

rockymountaindiva

rockymountaindiva - Jul 26, 2013 5:28 pm Date Climbed: Sep 12, 2009

Tennis shoes in snow  Sucess!

Forgot my hiking boots, there was a dusting of snow on the ground but made it anyway and feel very lucky! Think we also did Loveland that day.

telemarkdude

telemarkdude - Nov 22, 2012 11:38 pm Date Climbed: Nov 25, 2008

NE Slopes from Kite Lake  Sucess!

Short and straightforward. Did this during Thanksgiving vacation, but very little snow. Need to come back when there's good snow.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Apr 29, 2012 6:57 pm Date Climbed: Apr 29, 2012

NE Slopes Ski  Sucess!

Was able to string together a nearly continuous ski descent from the northwestern false summit all the way back to the road minus two short carries. It was a lot more continuous than it looked from the road. The snow got a solid freeze the night before making the morning skin interesting, some spots were incredibly firm. I had to wait to nearly 11.30 for the snow to soften, and even then it was still bulletproof in spots, but I didn't want to let the lower chutes get too soft. There were some nice sections of skiing too, especially lower down.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Apr 7, 2012 10:27 pm Date Climbed: Apr 6, 2012

Peak number 11 (Last one)  Sucess!

in my Mosquito range traverse (Started at Horseshoe Peak via Leavick)...finished at second car shuttled at Kite Lake

DerekFreed

DerekFreed - Apr 3, 2012 3:54 pm Date Climbed: May 10, 2009

Over Loveland  Sucess!

Snow shoe up to Loveland Mountain, traversed to Buckskin. Windy spring day.

Viewing: 1-20 of 51
Return to 'Mount Buckskin' main page