Mount Carmel Comments

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 18, 2002 7:24 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice Page. I've been by the summit three times now on my way elsewhere - next time I'll have to make the detour to check out the views. :)

gordonye

gordonye - Mar 18, 2002 10:27 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great photos!

EastKing

EastKing - Mar 20, 2002 7:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

John,



This page is like every other of your pages, Excellent. You put work into the page and it shows. The photos are great too. Makes me wish I was in California.

mdostby

mdostby - Jun 28, 2002 8:21 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Taking a vacation with my wife over the holidays. Maybe I'll bag this one while I'm there. Nice page.



Mike

mpbro

mpbro - Nov 15, 2002 10:26 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice work. Would've liked to know more about 1) the trick to follow the last leg of the trail to Mount Carmel, 2) the overgrown nature of the last leg to Mount Carmel, and 3) exactly how good the views were from the summit.



John

John - Nov 15, 2002 8:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote and the good comments. I'm glad you were able to make it out there. Some responses. I'll incorporate once we nail this down.



1) I didn't know there was a trick to follow the last leg. It seemed very straight-forward to me. I saw your photo ... did you think the trick was turning left when you got into the wooded Devils Peak summit? I can mention that.



2) I didn't consider the trail overgrown when I did it. There was a footpath, I didn't have to cross over any downed branches and there were no branches in my way or brush to plow through. It is, however, smaller than the popular Yosemite trails. Of course, I'm also shorter than you are!



3) I'll mention that the views are kind of distant from the summit. It was pretty cool to see Monterey Bay though. I was pretty cold when I was up there so I just snapped some photos and left. Now you know why those people dragged up the old telephone pole - and no, not to practice ice climbing.



Just clarify a bit, and I'll incorporate your comments into the main page. Thanks!

mpbro

mpbro - Nov 16, 2002 10:30 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hi John,



1) TRail trick: There may or may not be a trick. I followed the most well-beaten track, and it seemed to dead end at a small campsite. Kim saw the other, more hidden spur trail, so we followed it and it eventually led to the summit.



2) Overgrown trail: You know, this probably varies strongly from year to year. It was pretty bad when we did it, and I think this is where we both picked up our poison oak. I wonder if the Ventana trail crews were lazy this year. The Mount Manuel trail was in pitiful shape for the upper 1500 feet.



3) Views: It was pretty socked in when we were up there. From some of the other pics I've seen, there are decent views of the ocean. Still, it's not as airy as, say Mount Manuel.

Misha

Misha - Dec 29, 2002 9:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page, John! We decided to climb this mountain after reading your excellent route description!

Small correction.. Per USGS sign on the summit, elevation is 4430 feet and not 4417. See my pictures from today's summit ascent..

Diggler

Diggler - Dec 3, 2003 7:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

'nother nice page, John. Well laid out, & quite informative!

ridgeard3230 - May 31, 2009 2:24 pm - Voted 10/10

great job

you took all the guess work out of finding he peak.
The last section is very overgrown and from what the ranger told me it will not be getting any better. They are doing away with that section of the route. Could not find a register there but did find lots of broken glass that may have been the remains of one. We left a small jar with book.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Mount Carmel' main page