Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Mountain Jim

Mountain Jim - Apr 14, 2007 8:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Good job ...

If you'll allow an old man to brag ... several years ago I made it to the summit in 2 hours and 1 minute. I was trying for a sub two hour ascent, but there was a fairly stiff breeze blowing out of the west. Round trip in 3 hours and 23 minutes.
Wish I could still go that fast.
I agree that Elbert is a worthwhile hike ... it's not only the highest in Colorado ... it's the highest summit in the Rocky Mountains.
Peace, Jim

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 17, 2007 8:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good job ...

"I agree that Elbert is a worthwhile hike ... it's not only the highest in Colorado ... it's the highest summit in the Rocky Mountains."

Interesting-- a main theme of a TR I just finished for this mountain. If for no other reason, it's worth it for that.

Mountain Jim

Mountain Jim - Apr 18, 2007 9:18 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Good job ...

I'll look forward to reading your TR. I know many demean Mount Elbert for being such an easy 14er, but I think it's wonderful that the highest peak in the Rocky Mountains will let anyone, willing to invest the time and effort, enjoy the sense of accomplishment in reaching it's gentle summit with a magnificent view.
Peace, Jim

hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 18, 2007 11:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good job ...

You gotta admit, Longs via Clark's Arrow is pretty hard, especially in a day trip, and especially if you climb The Notch unintentionally. That summit is my best accomplishment as a mountain climber.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 18, 2007 5:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good job ...

"I know many demean Mount Elbert for being such an easy 14er, but I think it's wonderful that the highest peak in the Rocky Mountains will let anyone, willing to invest the time and effort, enjoy the sense of accomplishment in reaching it's gentle summit with a magnificent view."

Jim, that, too, is a main point. I think of how it's an easy summit and not among the most stunning in Colorado but how their is something deeply meaningful about standing on top of the Rockies.

Mountain Jim

Mountain Jim - Apr 19, 2007 5:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Good job ...

"You gotta admit, Longs via Clark's Arrow is pretty hard, especially in a day trip, and especially if you climb The Notch unintentionally. That summit is my best accomplishment as a mountain climber."
Longs is quite an acomplishment by any route ... so your route is impressive. Most people would agree Longs, is in the top 12 of the most difficult 14er's in Colorado by the eaisest route.
Peace, Jim

hgrapid

hgrapid - Aug 4, 2008 7:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: keeping time?

Good point. Title changed

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Mount Elbert - my first fourteener' main page