Mount Irau

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 4.52944°N / 101.36583°E
Additional Information County: Malaysia
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 6923 ft / 2110 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Irau is the highest mountain in the Cameron Highlands, in peninsular Malaysia. The Cameron Highlands is a popular destination for international and Malaysian tourists alike, who come there to escape the sultry, tropical climate of the Malaysian lowlands. There is a number of different activities one could get busy with there, most commonly, though, people will get there to do trekking in the thick, pristine forests covering the various mountains comprising the area. There is a good number of trails to be explored and a good deal of curiosities to be marveled at within the jungle, as rare Raflesiae and Nepenthes plants. It's also one of the very few places in Malaysia where one can do independent trekking, without being obliged to pay for coslty permissions and useless guides, as it's customary to be happening in this country.  

Getting There

It's easy to find direct bus services to the Cameron Highlands from Kuala Lumpur, Georgetown and other major cities in Malaysian mainland. If not direct, Ipoh is the nearest city to the highlands city.

Route

The trail to mount Irau starts from a point at the road leading to the top of the neighboring Mount Brinchang, a couple of hundred meters before the top. Alternatively, and most interestingly, one may also start from Brinchang village and do both the mountains consecutively, which makes a very pleasant day-trip. The trail to Mount Brinchang starts from the northernmost verge of the village, beside a water reservoir installation. It ascends quite smoothly through the forest, with some of the best views of the whole trip to be seen at some points along it. It should not take more than an hour and you reach an enclosure with some telecommunication installations situated on the top of Mount Brinchnang. Walking around the fence you come to the enclosure's entrance, where the road, coming from the opposite side, terminates. There is a watchtower one may climb by the entrance so to marvel the view above the forest canopy. You then take the road down for a while till you see the signs to the "mossy forest". There is a broadwalk leading through that first part of the forest, and then the trail comes on the ground and becomes much more interesting. A couple of hours later you will have reached to the summit of Mount Irau.

Red Tape

No fees applied, nor guides needed - inspite of some local guides trying to deceitfully convince you of it being otherwise.

When to Climb

All year round.

Camping

Camping is allowed pretty much anywhere.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.