Mount Love Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
hgrapid

hgrapid - May 28, 2009 2:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Mount Love and Mount Buckley

I see that these are named summits, but I am surprised they are official mountains, especially Mount Love. Mount Love is merely a 30 foot bump on the ridge up to Clingman's Dome, half a mile away. Buckley is a little more of a mountain, but still has around 100 feet above the ridge between it and Clingman's Dome.

Redwic

Redwic - May 28, 2009 10:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mount Love and Mount Buckley

After having gone there, I initially wondered about that too... until a short while later I asked a ranger at the Visitor Center on the east side of the national park about Mount Buckley and Mount Love, and he said they were indeed true mountains and appear on a few maps, albeit they are mountains that are mostly forgotten about. Then, two days later, I went to Wayah Bald (located many miles away to the east) and looked at the official map-sign of peaks that can be seen from the second floor of the Wayah Bald summit tower looking in the direction of these mountains. The "peaks" were listed. In addition, if you click on the GPS coordinates on the SummitPost pages for these mountains, their names are shown on the online map. Plus, the mountains appear on "peakbagger.com" and "mountainzone.com", among other websites. The combination of all of these things is good enough for me. Many "peaks" in the Appalachians (as well as other places in the country) are like bumps along ridgelines, and many such peaks are already on SummitPost. One great example is "Big Tom" in North Carolina, which is another 6000'+ peak that has similar low prominence but is an officially-named summit. I do my research in advance of posting SP pages, as I want them as accurate as possible.

hgrapid

hgrapid - May 28, 2009 11:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Agreed

Just pointing it out, especially for Mount Love. But, hey, it is a good page.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Mount Love' main page