Viewing: 1-7 of 7
yatsek

yatsek - Jun 30, 2016 5:36 am - Hasn't voted

Duplicate

I'm afraid this is a duplicate (please see here) and will have to be deleted.

DimitriosFan

DimitriosFan - Jun 30, 2016 6:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Duplicate

Oh, I see. That means that two mountain/rock articles may not be handling the same object notwithstanding their titles being different? I'm afraid I have two more of the kind besides the one you mention. Should I delete them altogether?

The Elves - Jun 30, 2016 6:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Duplicate

It is SP policy to have no more than one page for a specific Mountain/Rock (or Route, or Area and so on). When we (the elves) see a duplicate, we usually
- inform the member who posted the duplicate, and
- change the page type, typically to 'Custom Object', or
- delete the page


However, you don't necessarily have to delete your page. You are more than welcome to post a Trip Report. As these are about your own experience, they are never considered duplicates. And in a Trip Report you are free to incorporate all the practical details that you want, even if that means it contains everything that might fit in a Mountain/Rock page.

Another option, if you're focusing on a specific aspect, is to write an Article. To give an example, there is a Mountain/Rock page for Mount Rainier as well as an Article So, you want to climb Mt Rainier..

Scott

Scott - Jun 30, 2016 2:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Duplicate

Don't delete the page yet.

I actually wrote the information on the other Merapi page, in order to help out the owner. I had permission to use information from a guidebook author and whom was also my canyoneering partner for years and I used his information. Personally, I regret the decision since SP is supposed to be about 1st hand information only.

The original owner doesn't speak English and could only write a couple sentences on that page. The page doesn't have my name on it since I haven't climbed that peak, but I have been in the vicinity.

The page still hasn't been edited since then. You may be able to combine your information into the other page. I don't see a problem with giving you joint ownership since I wrote the info anyway.

I used to have joint ownership of the page, but I took my name off since I hadn't climbed the peak and didn't want any pages for peaks that I haven't been to. In retrospect, I shouldn't have touched the page and should have let it be deleted with the rest. It wouldn't have been an issue now if I hadn't tried to help out with the page.

Most of the owner's other pages have been deleted since they only had a few words or a couple of basic sentences on them.

The only two left are the ones I helped with. I haven't climbed the mountain though, so the information is still basic. It's probably outdated by now as well. It would be better if someone else wrote their first hand information on the page.

DimitriosFan

DimitriosFan - Jul 2, 2016 12:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Duplicate

Hey Scott,
That would be nice. How exactly could we proceed doing this?
Also, I was thinking to make a page for Singgalang as well, as I did both peaks while there. It seems like its the same situation with that page as well, right?
Thanks a lot.

Scott

Scott - Jul 2, 2016 1:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Duplicate

I can help you out with this when I get back Tuesday.

DimitriosFan

DimitriosFan - Jul 2, 2016 1:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Duplicate

That's great! Have a fun weekend!

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Mount Merapi (Sumatra)' main page