Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

The hike

Mount Nebo
Utah county
July 15, 2007
Elevation: 11,928
Pain Level: A little in the knees, really strenuous.

I drove through Payson Canyon untill i arrived at The Monument Trailhead. (If you get car sick, you will get sick traveling this canyon.) At the end of the parking lot there is a dirt road. I continued to travel up this road about a half mile until I came to a camping/parking area. This trail is suppose to be the shortest to get to Nebo. I stayed the night in my car with foxy(the dog). This was some what a solo trip.... We head up at 8:20 and hit the trail. It was steep, really steep. The wildflowers were in bloom and were beautiful. The smell of mint at the base of north mountian and midway up north mountain you could smell a sweet smell I think coming off these pink flowers that were everywhere. Once you hit the ridge it gets a bit scary if you don't like heights. The ridge traverse from north mountain to Nebo was the hardest the trail disappears and your on a small ridge with cliffs on either side. You walk on shale the whole time once you hit the ridge. We summited at about 12:10. The dog was slow, she had commpletly torn up her feet and I couldn't help her until we hit the base of north mountian cause I ditched the first aid and other items that were not need for the summit at the base. We didn't arrive back at the car until 6pm. The owners of the dog told me she would be okay. She could barely move after north mountain. She pushed herself through the wilderness and when we were close to the car I headed for the car packed up and came back to get her. Well, evening thunderstorms rolled in around 4:30, 5:00. So it was raining and windy heading back. I head back for the dog and found her passed out in the grass about a mile away. I couldn't get her to walk any further. I slowly carried her the last mile. By the way this is no light dog she had to have weighed atleast 45 pounds. I finally got her back to the car where she slept all the way home. I had brought 6 liters of water which was a tad much 5 liters would have been okay and probabley a bit less if the dog hadn't taken so long. There was no water supply to had to pack everything in. I would have to say its a great hike you need to be in shape for though.
Note: Don't bring a dog unless they are in shape..

I recommend This hike to people looking for a bit of a challenge. Its steep so your knees may be a bit sore afterwards. Also I probabley could have shaved about 5 hours off if I didn't bring the dog.

Comments

No comments posted yet.