Mount Oso Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
theREALCarpeDM

theREALCarpeDM - Aug 28, 2023 4:26 pm Date Climbed: Aug 22, 2023

From the Rock Creek approach  Sucess!

After climbing Silex, I packed up to move camp up the Rock Creek drainage. A couple of moose just off the Vallecito trail delayed me a little, then getting over the deadfall slippery with rain delayed me more. So I was running out of daylight and chose a campsite around 11,300 that I knew would get muddy with more rain. It did, but I survived. The next day, I was able to summit Mt Oso through on-and-off rain, hail, and wind. It was a nice feeling to be so far out there - solo - and fight through the weather, but that's the only summit I got that day. So many more over there!

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Sep 3, 2019 8:52 am Date Climbed: Sep 1, 2019

With Irving  Sucess!

Solo backpack from Emerald Lake side, up through the Oso-Soso saddle then climbed Irving and North Irving first. I then wrapped around some towers in the basin dropping to about 12k, then up the west ridge of the false summit with some nice scrambling lower down. Descended south and found a ramp of thick grass to bypass the lower cliffs. Back over the Oso-Soso saddle to camp.

seano

seano - Oct 5, 2016 2:32 pm Date Climbed: Oct 4, 2016

Emerald Lake  Sucess!

A long, scenic, rewarding day from the Los PiƱos trailhead. It's worth coming this way just for the visit to Emerald Lake, by far the largest natural lake in the Weminuche. The route would be easy class 3 when dry, but was a bit trickier with fresh snow. Trip report.

WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - Oct 2, 2012 9:23 am Date Climbed: Aug 25, 2012

Roell Creek/Lost Lake  Sucess!

Bushwhack up Roell Creek to Hidden Lake. Steep, rough, and ledgy, but I picked a good route. Traverse evil talus to Lost Lake. Ascend to saddle between Lost Lake and Irving Lake basins. Ascend up horribly loose talus to about 13,000', but forced back below saddle due to T-storm. Re-ascend up western sub-ridge then across SW face to join SE ridge. Easy ascent to summit... spectacular views. Descended along top of ridge all the way back to the saddle... much better choice. Camped at Lost Lake with some coyotes and elk.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Sep 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Saw an oso on Oso!

I want to be like Sarah when I grow up! You are cool, lady!

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Aug 29, 2011 10:52 pm Date Climbed: Aug 25, 2011

Saw an oso on Oso!  Sucess!

Backpacked 10 miles from Beartown to Rock Lake. Climbed a loose, rocky, mostly 2nd class gully (not recommended) to gain SE ridge around 13,300 ft. Saw a mama bear and her cub at 13,000 ft while descending the SW slopes (toward Irving), apparently munching on something amongst the talus. A bear sighting high on Oso! How cool is that!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Aug 12, 2011 10:28 pm Date Climbed: Jul 5, 1991

From E side  Sucess!

We camped at Emerald Lake, hiked N, and headed W and then snaked around the S side to summit. It seemed mainly class 2, but I recall huge boulders that let loose on way up from S. Next day we backpacked out 19 miles along W side of range.

Joel Hopper

Joel Hopper - Feb 20, 2006 5:46 pm

Route Climbed: Rock Lake Date Climbed: May 1994  Sucess!

I climbed with brother/SP member Woodie Hopper. We used the Emerald Lake approach. Great climb.

Woodie Hopper

Woodie Hopper - Aug 25, 2005 9:23 am

Route Climbed: Rock Lake Date Climbed: ~'94  Sucess!

Camped at Rock Lake, approached via Emerald Lake.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Mount Oso' main page