Mount Pinchot Comments

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jun 29, 2005 4:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Well, yes, of course more picts would be nice but I have rarely seen a member submit such a high quality first page. Forget the picts - they will arrive over time.

Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Jun 29, 2005 4:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent page. But that hike up to Taboose Pass is more than 6mi one way--the Tom Harrison Map says 8mi (and even that feels like an underestimate when you're slogging up the thing!)



Something else I forgot to mention: You should also add the page to the John Muir Wilderness and Sequoia/Kings Canyon groups.

marmoting - Jun 29, 2005 7:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

You may very well be right about the distance. All of the times I hiked Taboose were before I had GPS to log my route. I came up with the 6 mile figure by averaging the 5.5 mile figure claimed by Secor with the 6.3 mile figure stated in the Inyo National Forest Trails Inventory. Do you know how Tom Harrison came up with his number? Is it more accurate than the National Forest figure?

marmoting - Jun 29, 2005 8:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for pointing out the groups. I was not even aware of that feature. I'm not sure the peak belongs on the John Muir Wilderness group, though. It lies entirely within Kings Canyon Nat'l Park. I think the Park and the JM Wiliderness are mutually exclusive except for peaks that lie right on the boundary.

Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Jun 29, 2005 8:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good point about the John Muir Wilderness--I keep thinking the peak lies on the Sierra Crest because the views are so good, but of course it's not...



Apparently, Tom Harrison gets the trail distances with a measuring wheel. I read a post on one of the Sierra message boards where someone had seen a strange track along the trail, looking like someone had pushed a wheelbarrow along it. He was confused until, lo and behold, he ran into Tom himself a few minutes later pushing his contraption along. I trust the distances on those maps, because on flat/downhill trails the numbers tend to be pretty consistent--e.g. a 3 mile section of trail on one map takes a similar time as a comparable 3 mile section on another map. I can't say the same for USFS/NPS/Secor distances, which all seem to be pretty random at times.

marmoting - Jun 29, 2005 10:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

You make a pretty good argument for trusting Tom's numbers over the other sources. Could you tell me what his map shows for the Sawmill Pass trail from the trailhead to the pass?

Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Jun 30, 2005 1:14 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

He says 10.0 miles for that one.

marmoting - Jun 30, 2005 11:14 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks! I changed Taboose to 8 miles and I'll leave Sawmill at 10 miles. In this case, Secor and Harrison agree on 10 miles, but the Trails Inventory lists it at a ridiculous 6.1 miles.

Dave K - Jun 29, 2005 4:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page. I might have some photos somewhere. If so, I'll post them.

desainme

desainme - Jun 29, 2005 6:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Quite colorful. I liked the black dike on one of the summits. Good vistas of the Palisades.

Lee Stamm

Lee Stamm - Jun 29, 2005 11:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nicely done.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Mount Pinchot' main page