Mount Robson - Berg Lake Winter

Mount Robson - Berg Lake Winter

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 53.10696°N / 119.16146°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 18, 2014
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter

Overview

This is a trip report about a ski touring trip a friend and I took to Berg Lake, Mount Robson Provincial Park from 20 Jan 2014 – 23 Jan 2014.

Whitehorn Campground – 20 Jan 2014 (1930)

Alan and I are just making camp at Whitehorn Campground. We departed the trailhead at approximately 1000 and made it to Kinney Lake at 1330. The snow conditions have been awesome compared to last year (very dry and cold [-7◦C]). Lots of facets and fresh surface hoar on most of the trail will definitely be a concern in the future. At least 30 trees are down on the trail between the trailhead and Kinney Lake. Both of the big avalanche paths on the trail between the trailhead and Whitehorn have spit out some class 1s. The weather has been phenomenal and tomorrow will be up the Emperor Hill and on to Hargreaves.

Hargreaves Shelter – 21 Jan 2014 (2218)

We have made it to Hargreaves Shelter. We departed Whitehorn at 915 and arrived at Falls of the Pool at 1157. At Falls of the Pool, we dug at pit and ate some lunch. After lunch, it was the top of Emperor Hill by 1420 and Hargreaves at 1620. The going was good and the temps stayed just below freezing all day, which made for some good skinning. No avalanches were observed today, the snow pit we dug at Falls of the Pool had a well consolidated faceted layer on top of 3cm of basal facets with CTN. Unlikely to go, but if it does...

We also learned that one should clear the chimney of snow before starting a fire and there is a giant pack rat living in Hargreaves Shelter. Tomorrow off to the Robson Glacier.

Hargreaves Shelter – 22 Jan 2014

We woke up around 800 today and spent a long time looking for wood and water (Berg Lake would have been a good place to start). Afterwards, we made our way to the Robson Glacier where most of the mountains were pretty bare. It almost looks the same as the summer time snow cover but with snow in the valley bottom. Although we did get some turns in on the moraines in the valley and the weather was excellent. The plan for tomorrow is to check out Toboggan Falls and head back down to Whitehorn.

Berg Lake Trailhead – 23 Jan 2014 (1900)

We made it from Hargreaves to the trailhead in 6.5 hours. Our food situation was starting to get a little low. The skiing on both the Emperor Hill and Whitehorn hill were excellent. Slow and steady is the only way to get this trail done; slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Clear day up at Berg but we descended into clouds as we came down to Whitehorn. It was much more humid below 5000’ and the snow became very sticky around Kinney. Overall it was an excellent trip and lots learned.  




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Feb 17, 2014 7:31 pm - Voted 10/10

The Berg Lake Rat

"there is a giant pack rat living in Hargreaves Shelter."

Cheers to my good pal from last October adventures up there!!! Hope he's doing fine in cold winter. The Rat is a legend, night legend :)))

So nice to see your winter report from the place I enjoyed so much 4 months ago... wish to be back there one day.

Tomek Lodowy

Viewing: 1-1 of 1